Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Driven.

I crossed something off my list yesterday. Something big.

Thanks to my sweet and lovely husband, I got my first grown up car!

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe with only 45,000 miles on it!

Isn't it perfect? It has four doors and power locks and a sunroof and all kinds of fancy upgrades I've never had before. Plus the interior perfectly matches my car seat and I don't have to whack Liam's head trying to throw him in the back seat! I actually feel more grown up now. Like a real mom or something!

Billy and I have been looking for a while and decided that the Santa Fe would give me everything I wanted without making us stress about money. He had been searching online for weeks and finally found this little beauty in Atlanta. Unfortunately, after I left for Reno, he told me that it sold. What he didn't tell me was that he was the one who bought it.

I was pretty bummed that we didn't get it. Every time I'd see a Santa Fe drive by, I'd wave at it like how bus drivers wave to each other and then I'd get sad because I was just a Tercel driver, not a Santa Fe driver. And every time I saw one, I liked it even more than I thought I did. It was like I had the opposite of buyer's remorse - I had almost buyer's remorse.

By the time he picked us up at the airport, I had pretty much forgotten about it. I was lugging Liam through the parking garage down row after row of SUVs, following Bill as he mumbled about not remembering where he parked. All I could think about was finally putting Liam down and diving into the sandwich he picked up for me on the way to the airport.

Then he turned around and said, "I know you're probably pretty tired, but do you want to drive?"

"No, I just want to eat my sandwich."

Duh.

When I looked up, I realized we were standing in front of my dream car and he was grinning and offering me the keys. My keys! I was shocked. Totally overwhelmed. I kept hitting him and saying, "Oh my gosh! Are you serious? You're a really good liar." I couldn't believe it. I actually rode home in the passengers seat so I could take it all in (and eat my sandwich).

I've been driving a 1995 Toyota Tercel since I bought it in 1995. My aunt and uncle gave me a thousand dollars for my high school graduation and I used it for a down payment on my first (and only) car. We've had lots of good times together and it's been really good to me over the years. I'll be sad to see it go.

My car and my dog in front of my parents house.

Right after I bought it, my sister, Molly, and I drove from Reno to Portland to see my cousin and her family. I was 17 and she was 14. My parents knew we were going but for some reason we still left at 3 am. At the time, I only had a radio in the car so we brought along a boom box with batteries so we could listen to cds while we drove. We would bring it to the front seat when we couldn't get reception, and throw it in the back when we could. This was no easy task considering it took up most of the back seat. The first time Molly tried to pull it up front with her wee 14 year old arms, she accidentally knocked me upside the head. After that, we'd fight over who got to put it away so we could "accidentally" do it again. Somewhere along the way, the top of cd player warped in the sun and the only way to get it to play cds was to push down on the top really, really hard. Despite our road trip diet of sugar and caffeine (cinnamon bears, orange slices, pop tarts and free coffee from almost every rest stop!), we were tired right from the get go. So for most of the 10 hour trip, I forced Moose (a nickname from early childhood - no one knows why) to hold it on her lap and push down to keep the music playing (not just a little pressure, a double armed push!). I made her sing along, too. I can still see her panting along to the Clueless soundtrack while her little arms shook from sheer exhaustion. What a trooper!

I'm not exactly sure where this story was going. I guess it's just the first thing that popped into my head when I thought about my car. I can't wait to see what memories I make with my new car. More doors, more room, more stories!

1 comment:

CelinaQ said...

Remember the time you let me drive your Subaru station wagon? That was a wild ride! :)