Friday, December 14, 2007

Adventures in babysitting.

From the time I was about 12 until a few years after I got married, I babysat all the time. I would play with the kids, cook them dinner, get them to bed on time and have the house orderly and quiet when the parents got home. I would take kids to baseball practice or swim lessons or pick them up from school. I never had boyfriends over or talked on the phone or did anything other than babysit (except when I watched kids for several days in a row which *hello?* is awesome). I only charged $5/hour and would stay as late as people wanted. If I fell asleep on the couch, I would always wake up when I heard the door open. I drove myself to and from even when people lived all the way accross town.

Parents were always head-over-heels for me and I never understood why. Isn't that what you're supposed to do when you babysit? Well, now I realize good babysitters (who don't cost a fortune) are hard to find. I mean really hard to find. No wonder people were so ga-ga over me and my sister!

Not that we've had bad babysitters. Not at all. The one babysitter we've used has been great. But when she's busy, we're stuck. It's time to branch out.

I finally understand why people stop having lives after their kids are born - it's really hard to leave the house!

Things are starting to look up! I just found a babysitter for tomorrow night. She's coming over in a couple hours to meet Liam and I'm pretty sure she's going to be awesome. And, in my quest to find someone, I added about 8 new contacts to my list of potential sitters. Woo hoo - date night here I come!

1 comment:

Kayla said...

that's EXACTLY the kind of babysitter i want to be... I think it's just creepy when babysitter have boyfriends over and stuff. cute picture!!!