Thursday, January 10, 2008

In the bag.

It's insane to me how many plastic bags I get each time I go to the grocery store. I know the baggers don't want to squish anything but there has to be a happy medium. Sometimes I'll get home and find a box of crackers in a bag all by itself. Where is the logic in that? Crackers aren't even heavy - what are they going to squish? Also, what is the deal with putting a gallon of milk in a bag? The milk already has a handle on it - putting it in a bag actually makes it harder to carry, not easier.

I don't know if this happens at all grocery stores or just at the stores near me. Our options leave much to be desired.

Our closest choice is hostage Kroger. At least that's how our neighbor introduced us to it when we first moved to the neighborhood. As in, "you're gonna want to drive past hostage Kroger and keep going until you see the other Kroger." I know what you're thinking - a hostage situation in a grocery store? Well, um, yeah - apparently that's just what happened. I would like to think things have improved since then but, let's be honest, the bar was not set that high to begin with.

The next closest grocery is the Neighborhood Family Fun Market (aka Walmart). As much as it pains me to say so, this is actually not a bad choice. They have a fair amount of organic options, the brand of diapers we like best and much lower prices than the other stores (at least that's what I hear - I haven't looked at food prices since my coupon-clipping mom forced me to as a kid). Unfortunately, you can't buy beer there since they are within 100 feet of a church or school and it takes FOREVER to check out. So unless you want to stand around feeling helpless and pissed off and then not have a beer when you get home, this is not the choice for you.

Today I went to the other Kroger and bravely used my eco-friendly shopping bag for the very first time. It's stupid what a big deal this was for me. I've been carrying it around with me for weeks but, until today, never worked up the nerve to pull it out and use it. I think I was afraid of offending the checker. "Get that environmentally repugnant plastic bag away from my organic milk you heathen!" Maybe I just didn't want the attitude. Although, you pretty much get that no matter what kind of bag you're using. In my neighborhood, it's just part of the experience.

What did I do before DIY checkout lanes?


Now that's how you pack a bag!

No comments: