Friday, April 4, 2008

PPS.

Another quick addendum to my previous post.

Those follow up books I was wondering about? They already exist. Big time. I was in Borders the other day and allowed myself to really look at the self help section. Usually I feel self-conscious like everyone in the store is reading over my shoulder and judging me. "Ooh! She's obsessive compulsive and in a sexless marriage and addicted to rice pudding!" "Mummy, look! That sad lady doesn't know who stole her cheese." "Hahaha - why don't you try The Idiot's Guide to Being Pathetic you big loser?" It's like, lay off people, I'm just browsing!

My in-depth search was mind blowing. I had NO IDEA how many books were out there. There is literally a book for every possible situation. Can't stop beating yourself up? Check out Powerful Self Talk: Change your Self Talk; Change Your Life. Afraid the food you eat is making you sick? Pick up The Allergy Self-Help Cookbook. Got so many problems you don't know where to start? No problem! Try The Last Self-Help Book You'll Ever Need. As it turns out, you can self-help yourself through just about anything.

I probably spent an hour looking through row after row of books. It made me think two things, 1) wow, it looks like every book has already been written, and 2) who cares? change the perspective ever so slightly and you've got yourself a whole new book!

So, yeah, I want to write a book. Or a ton of books. I mean, really, can you imagine anything more fun that that? I can't. Not that I necessarily want to write a self-help book but if I do, I could use Writing Successful Self-Help and How-To Books as a guide. I'm telling you, there's a book out there for EVERYTHING.

I used to think you had to get paid in order to be something. Like I couldn't be a writer unless someone was paying me specifically to write and the title on my business cards was "writer." Even when that was exactly the case, I still felt funny saying I was a writer. Like I was lying or pretending to be something that I wasn't. Now I realize that that's kind of silly. Labels are just labels. Who you are has nothing to do with what you call yourself. Knowing that made me feel perfectly free to say (to myself), "I'm a writer and a photographer." Woo hoo! It doesn't change who I am or how I feel about myself but it sure is fun. Try it, you'll see!

No comments: