Monday, April 7, 2008

Viva Nash-Vegas.

I love Nashville. I am so happy we moved here; so happy to have a friendly little community to call home.

I sometimes get so caught up in day-to-day life, in the details that can happen in any city or any town, that I forget where we are. Then a night like last night comes along and my memory is joyfully refreshed.

We spent the afternoon at our friends' house drinking beer and grilling hot dogs and watching the kids run around the yard. It was warm enough to be outside without a jacket but cool enough that we weren't being eaten by mosquitoes. In scientific weather terms, I believe that's called PERFECT. And perfect it was.

We stayed as long as possible. When we could no longer deny that it was Liam's bedtime, we begrudgingly gathered our things and sulked to the car. On the drive home, I told Bill he could go back if he wanted, that I would get Liam to bed. He sweetly offered me the same and without hesitation I said, "OK!" I'm no sucker.

I got back to the party just in time sing Happy Birthday to two of my dear friends and toast them with a cupcake and a glass of wine. Once I finished my cupcake, I cornered the busy hostess so we could catch up. We went out to the backyard with a bottle of wine and soon everyone who was left at the party had joined us outside. It didn't take long for a guitar to emerge and before I knew it I was in the midst of a full fledged Nashville sing-a-long!

Now, I know stuff like this happens in places other than Nashville. Obviously. But what kills me about this place is how good everyone is. It's not like a bunch of tone-deaf kids singing a tragic version of American Pie. It's like an amazing collaboration of supremely talented musicians. If they would have charged admission, I would have gladly paid it.

(I shudder when I remember that many of these people witnessed my karaoke version of Ace of Base at Bill's 30th birthday party.)

I wasn't the only one blown away by the music last night. As Thad Cockrell and Courtney Jaye harmonized beautifully over the soothing sound of an acoustic guitar, a hoot owl sang along from a nearby tree. It may have been the 3rd glass of wine but I swear the owl was singing with them. He only joined in on one song and was quiet for the rest of the night.

I woke up this morning with music in my head. Well, music and a hangover. Souvenirs of a really great night.

Today was another beautiful day. Liam had school which means Bill and I had FIVE WHOLE HOURS alone. That is a rare and wonderful occurrence so we totally ate it up. We went hiking at Warner Park and stumbled upon yet another Tennessee tradition that neither of us saw coming. It's summed up best in these lyrics by country music star Brad Paisley:

I'd like to see you out in the moonlight
I'd like to kiss you way back in the sticks
I'd like to walk you through a field of wildflowers
And I'd like to check you for ticks.

An' oooo You never know where one might be
An' oooo There's lots of places that are hard to reach
Yeah I been there

I gotcha.

I'd sure like to check you for ticks...

I GOT A TICK.

I can't go into much more detail than that because every time I think about it I throw up a little bit in my mouth. As soon as Bill took care of it (barf), we thoroughly checked each other for more. I don't know where Brad Paisley got the idea that that type of full body check is sexy but he is wrong. Sooo wrong.

1 comment:

Anna said...

ooh, i feel your pain. i found one on my thigh one night after work...lord knows how long it had been there. ew--just thinking about it makes me squirm!