Sunday, April 20, 2008

What all the hoopla is about.

I spent a good part of the day cruising YouTube looking for hula hoop videos. There are some amazing hoopers out there and I got lots of great ideas and inspiration. As soon as Bill finished mowing the lawn (THANK YOU!!!), I grabbed my hoop and and headed out to the back yard. I started off in boots because I'm scared of ticks and bugs and stepping on glass (we find glass everywhere - either the previous owner of our house had a hot temper and a drinking problem or its from the 1998 tornado), but after a few minutes I said, "Chiggers be dammed!" and kicked off my shoes and socks. The fresh cut grass on my bare feet made me feel like I was 8 years old enjoying every last bit of the day before the street lights came on and I had to come in for dinner.

After practicing for a while, I wanted to see if it looked like I knew what I was doing or not so I ran inside to grab my camera. Unfortunately, by the time I got back outside, our next door neighbor Steve was in his yard pulling weeks and fertilizing the grass. The last thing I wanted to do was get caught busting a hoop move to my video camera so I made Bill come outside with me as a decoy/camera man. We kept the music kind of quiet and I hooped close to the fence so Steve couldn't see me. It was almost perfect until the very end when, well, you'll see.

video

Obviously that was my neighbor shouting, "Go Hoop Mama!" as I pranced around the yard in all my glory. How embarrassing! Since I had already been busted, we went ahead and took one more quick video. I wanted to see a new move I was working on and didn't get a chance to do it before I got caught. So, here it is!

video

5 comments:

Chrissy said...

Go Hoop Momma!! Wahoo!!! I hope you're very proud of yourself!!?!!

Callie said...

Wow! That's impressive. I think you're the most graceful hula hooper I've ever seen.

Maggie said...

Thanks, girls!!!

Amber said...

Yes, it's me, Amber. Every day at 3 pm I stop what I'm working on to read a couple of gossip sites and Google News. Your blog has been officially added to that mix. You're a super writer! Can't wait to start HoopAerobix with you!

Anna said...

dang, woman! this makes me want to dust off my hoop and practice!