Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Brought to you today by the letter R!

R is for Robert, the amazing friend who single handedly revived our computer as it limped toward the light at the end of the tunnel. It was ready to give up; to say goodbye to the exciting world of e-mail and digital pictures and meet it's maker in scrap yard full of out-dated cell phones and ironing boards. Every time I pressed power and squeezed my eyes shut and crossed my fingers tight thinking, "Maybe it just needed a good rest?", it would simply not turn on. How do you fix something if you can't even turn it on to see what's wrong? That's where Robert came in. He is like the Jedi Master of computers. I think he just looked at it sternly and said, "Not on my watch, sucker." Well, it may have been slightly more difficult than that. OK, it was a complete holy terror that would have caused me to gouge my eyes out if I had spent even half a millisecond trying to help! One virus after another had to be tracked down and destroyed. Then all of the damage it caused had to be repaired. And so on and so on and so on. How unattractive and socially awkward do you have to be to create a computer virus? Talk about lame. Enough about that. The demons have been exercised and our computer is back from the dead - it's time to celebrate!

Oh, and speaking of celebrating...

Barack Obama (finally) won the democratic nomination! We will be drinking margaritas in his honor just as soon as Bill gets home from the liquor store. Woo hoo!

So, I guess that means I have a few minutes. And a computer. It's almost too much for me to process! Maybe bullet points will help me transition back into the world of blogging a little more gracefully. Here's what I've been up to lately:
  • We got a new oven. Not so much by choice as by necessity. I guess the mouse got the last laugh after all.
  • The last few times I've gone to Vanderbilt to work, I've had to use a computer that sits on a counter top inside what looks and feels like a supply closet. I perch on a bar stool that is squeezed between a ladder that goes to the escape hatch on the roof and a rolling cart. The first time I sat there, I could hardly walk when I was done. I knew data entry was bad for my carpal tunnel but had no idea it would hurt my knees. How old am I? I since realized that if I prop my feet on an empty box while I type, I can walk to my car afterwards without wincing. Leave it to me to land a job at a prestigious university and wind up in a supply closet!
  • I stopped wearing antiperspirant and am really surprised at how good I smell. Then again, I have a stuffy nose. I might stink! Damn allergies.
  • At a neighborhood cookout the other night, our neighbors were telling us about how they like to trap feral cats so they can spay and neuter them. "It's kind of a hobby," they admitted sheepishly. When we told them we had cats who don't wear collars, they asked us to describe them. About half way through my description of Mr. Bird, they looked at each other and said, "Snow Leopard!" Ha! Now we call Mr. Bird "Snow Leopard." It actually suits him quite well. I think it's funny that they thought our 17 pound cat might be feral. He definitely doesn't look hungry to me!
  • I was flipping through the channels last night (that's what happens when you don't have the Internet) and came across a show on E! called The Girls Next Door. Have you seen this? It's about Hugh Heffner's 3 girlfriends who all live in the Playboy Mansion together and it is the most fascinating thing I've seen in a long time. I can't explain what the appeal is quite yet, but I know I want to see more. It could just be that I haven't seen reality TV in a while and I got sucked in. It happens.

My husband just walked through the door with the tequila. It's time to celebrate our next president. Yay, Obama!

1 comment:

hezza said...

does he work on macs? I have a sick logic board.