Friday, August 15, 2008

Potty talk.

If you've checked out my other blog lately, you'll already know that we are knee deep in the child rearing gauntlet known as potty training. It is an all-encompassing, time-suck of an experience that has me spending way too much time in and around the bathroom.

"So, what are you doing this weekend?"

"Hello? We're potty training? It's like a 24/7 kind of thing. We can't potty train and have a life, you know. It's just not possible!"

All conversations tend toward the subject of potty. I never even said the word potty before this. Now it's all we talk about. "Liam, do you need to go pee? Do you want to sit on your potty? Let's go potty together! Potty, potty, pee pee, potty!"

I knew I was feeling this way but, as it turns out, I might not be the only one in the house who is somewhat obsessed.

Last night Bill pointed out some drawings in Liam's notebook that look a little, well, you be the judge.

That's a nice line, Liam. Oh, it's not just a line? What is it?

Oh, um, OK. I really like that, uh, shape.

Hello! I think that's enough creative expression for today.

I mean, are we crazy or are these pictures totally phallic? I feel like we might be 12 years and a huge surge of testosterone away from living with the kid in Super Bad. This, I'm afraid, is just the beginning.

Congratulations, it's a BOY.

3 comments:

Maggie said...

another friend pointed me in the direction of your blog...we both have two-year olds as well. God help us. I truly appreciate your honesty and humor as I see so much of what I'm going through in your blog. Potty training, check. The overall sense of wonder, check. The all-over body shiver when things scurry, check. The name Maggie, check.
Thanks for the laughs.
Maggie in Nevada

Callie said...

oh this is so funny. thanks for the laughs. :)

Maggie said...

Ah yes, my friend is yours as well (Katie Beers McDonald)...she led me your way. I have been friends with her husband for almost a decade now and didn't actually meet her until their wedding. Funny how we all seem to connect especially once kids are in the picture.