Saturday, September 27, 2008

The big day.

My matron-of-honor speech (more or less...):

It is very special for me to be speaking tonight in honor of not just the bride but also my (voice starts to crack) sister and my best friend (deep breath...compose yourself!). It is a unique and incredible experience to know someone your entire life (voice trembling); to watch someone grow from a pixie-haired tag along to an amazing woman I look up to and admire in so many ways (chin quivering, eyes welled with tears). Molly, I am so proud of the person you have become (look to audience and shrug like, 'I don't know why I can't stop crying?'). I'm so happy that you've found someone who loves and respects you as much as I do (tears running down cheeks, makeup ruined).

Erick, I don't know if Molly ever told you this but about 6 or 7 years ago we were out here with our mom having a girls' day when Molly and I decided to go for a run. We were running along the highway when Molly looked down at the resort and saw the exact site where you got married tonight (sniff) and said, "Maybe someday I'll meet a really special man and me and my special man will get married right there." I think we can all agree (voice cracking, chin quivering) that she has found her special man. Your love is proof that dreams really do come true (waaaahhhhh!!!).

I love you both and am so grateful to have you in my family (give up trying not to cry, hug the bride and groom, down the last of my wine and join Liam in chanting, 'cut that cake, cut that cake!').

2 comments:

Katie said...

Where is the picture of you with snot running down your nose from crying....?? I look forward to reading more about the wedding! It was great to see you and Liam last week.
katie

LClaire said...

Wow, this is really beautiful. Congrats on a beautiful day for your family!