Thursday, September 4, 2008

Surely we're not as dumb as we look.

What is the deal with John McCain choosing Sarah Palin as his running mate? Has he completely lost his mind? Watching her speak at the Republican National Convention last night I kept thinking, "Is this some kind of joke?" I know it's a big deal to have a woman in the White House but surely that isn't the best they could come up with. Here are a few of the things she brought to mind:

Even he looks confused as to why she's there.
Oh, wait - he always looks confused.


A hilarious parody is great, just not in the White House.

The tackily clad audience guffawed at her every clip.
C'mon people, you're smarter than that!

"I'm a hockey mom! And that there's my son Racetrack and my
daughter Pinetree and my husband Jo Bob. He's a fisherman.
Did I mention I love hockey?
Yep, hockey and unborn babies. I'm just like you!"

I'm sure she's a very nice woman but, hello?!, I'm nice as hell and I wouldn't vote for myself to be the potential ruler of the free world. That's just crazy talk.

She's just not very...presidential. If a woman is going to represent our country, I want her to look like this:

"If you bungle raising your children,
I don't think whatever else you do matters very much."
- Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis


Not this:

Huh? What children?

I mean, she has a 4 month old special needs child. Shouldn't she still be breastfeeding and bonding with her baby? Her special needs baby? I can't begin to imagine how challenging that would be but it seems like it would take precedence over most everything else. (And that's not her only child. Ahem...) I know, I know...no one would ever mention her family obligations if she was a man. But, come on. If you're a mother, you know it's not the same. And, for what it's worth, I know for a fact that if we had a special needs baby, my husband would not be off campaigning for the vice presidency. He would know his priority was with his family. Isn't that what family values is all about?

4 comments:

Callie said...

well said! I totally agree. what was McCain thinking? Hoping we never have to experience her as VP or as Pres!

sunnidbean79 said...

yes! i agree! that was my first thought about have a 4 MONTH OLD! save your political career for when they are older woman!! eerraaghhh!

mamalove said...

Thank you! Well said and the Roseanne comparison is right on. Did you conjure up images of Fargo during her speech as well?

Katie said...

Maggie, you totally got what my husband and I were feeling as we were watching the speech! We thought for sure he had stepped on his own foot choosing her. We can't believe that the country seems to be LOVING her! We have to vote in November...