Thursday, October 30, 2008

I'm a wiener.

That title reminds me of my friend Alisa who owns and runs our neighborhood hot dog stand, I Dream of Wienie. Every time I see her and ask her what she's been up to she says the same thing, "Oh, you know, just slingin' wienies!" It always makes me blush and burst into a fit of embarrassed giggles. I suspect she knows this about me...

Where was I? Ah, yes - I won an award! And not just any award, either. Noooosiree. This award is special. Why? Because it was awarded by a stranger. A stalker if you will. Someone I didn't even know was reading my blog. How cool is that?

Also? Her blog is really great. It's like I got an award and a prize all in one. I don't think it gets much better than that.

I'm supposed to nominate 7 blogs that I love in order to accept the award. Doesn't that seem like a lot? For someone like me with time management issues it sure does. How am I supposed to write and read while keeping up with the dishes, the laundry, The Daily Show, the grocery shopping, the insatiable pets, the husband, and the two year old who recently realized naps are for wussies? I don't think it's possible. There just aren't enough hours in the day.

And yet...

I checked out my bookmarks and found that, by gum!, I do read and love seven blogs. Maybe that's why I never have time to make dinner...

Here they are, in no particular order:

Moms Are For Everyone! Emery is a girl I used to coach in Pop Warner cheer leading. OK, technically she is now a woman but to me she is still the teeny little gymnast we could use to turn an ordinary routine into something gasp-worthy. Do a bunch of flips right here, in front of these girls! Get way up here on top of everyone and pull your leg back and over your head! What a trooper. In my mind she can still do these things. The girl is good at everything: writing, momming, wifing, shopping, looking adorable...why not back handsprings?

Trying This is my friend, Linnet's, new blog. It's all smart and political but just when I think it's over my head she throws in an SNL clip or something equally on my level. Love it! She is in graduate school for social work after working in real estate for waaaay too long. If she were to write a book about it, it would be called How Real Estate Drove Me to Therapy. Brilliant.

Bite My Cookie I found this blog recently and upon reading the very first post couldn't stop myself from leaving a comment that was along the lines of, "OMG, I freaking LOVE you!" Creepy, right? I seriously could not help myself. She is a great writer and she posts videos of her kid rocking out to classics like Wheels in the Sky by Journey. Just try to watch something like that without leaving an embarrassing comment. Impossible. I found her blog when she posted something on Girl's Gone Child, another great blog I love to read.

Rockin Babies Whenever the stay-at-home-mom thing is really wearing me out and I can no longer see the upside of spending 35 minutes coaxing my child to taste just a little bit of soup, and the pretend shower we made with White Bi got boring, like, the second we made it, this blog reminds me that these are the things at the core of motherhood. The glory isn't in the monumental milestones, it's in the moments in between. She is a master of cherishing and preserving what might be overlooked if you were busy or not paying close enough attention. She inspires me to slow down, look a little closer and appreciate the amazing little man I get to call my son. (PS - I met her at this party. Before the nonsense happened.)

Girl Healthy A great blog full of helpful tidbits for making healthy choices. Check out her bio - it's totally inspiring. Way better than those reader success stories in Shape magazine. I cut out soda, stopped eating fast food and started to exercise. Well, duh. Like anyone reading Shape magazine doesn't already know that. Please. Tell me something I don't know. Thanks, Girl Healthy, for doing just that.

Is that still not seven? Whew. You would not believe how long this is taking me. Seriously, it's more than a little embarrassing. For my household's sake I am going to have to just sum this up and move on. So, with that, I leave you with Anna's blog, Trisha's blog, Courtney's blog, Callie's blog, and Halie's blog. Inspiring, the lot of you.

Now, about those dishes...

3 comments:

Girl Healthy said...

I read your award winning blog every day and just love it. You are so good at making every situation interesting. Thank you so much for the mention. Just when I wonder who out there, if anyone, is actually reading Girl Healthy you make my day by blogging about it!! Hope you don't mind if I give a shout out to No Mommy Brain on an upcoming post.

LClaire said...

You are my favorite blog and I will forever be grateful that you write!!! You make me smile every time I read :) Thanks for the shout out chica!

Callie said...

I forgot to say thanks for the link. :) Mine is definitely now as great as yours. Mike (my hubby) and I are always talking about your blog. It's common in our day to day conversations to refer to all of you. "Did you read what Maggie thought about...?" "Did you see how cute Liam was in that photo?" Hope we're not too stalkerish. :)