Monday, November 24, 2008

Come up with a new list. Check!

I'm a big fan of lists - to do lists, grocery lists, honey-do lists, you name it. If I can write it down, I will try to put a check mark next to it. Lists help me stay organized and on task while also getting all of the useless crap out of my brain so I can focus on the present moment. I would hate to only half listen to Liam sing You Are My Sunshine because I'm too busy trying to remember to get shredded cheese at the grocery store to really pay attention. (Note to self: get shredded cheese at the grocery store!)

It's not that I can't function without a list because, obviously, I can. It's just that the mundane tasks of mommyhood can actually feel satisfying with a nice, neat check mark next to them. I mean, the only good thing about vacuuming is crossing it off your list, right? If you're like, What about the clean carpet? Isn't that satisfying? you obviously don't have children or pets. Children and pets can undo the most valiant of housekeeping efforts in a matter of seconds.

At the end of the day when the carpet is covered with graham crackers and dog hair AGAIN and you're looking at your husband who just worked all day like, I swear I did stuff today..., your list will totally back you up. No matter what the state of your home might suggest, check enough things off your list and you can't help but feel successful.

So, instead of coming up with a big list of specific goals for the year, I decided I would try to take it one day at a time. I'm hoping that the more lists I make and conquer, the more successful I will feel. As a mom working 24/7 for no pay with no performance reviews or project completion dates in sight, I will take that feeling of success wherever I can get it.

Here is a very general list of things I would like to integrate into my daily life that I will use to help guide my daily to-do lists.
  1. Write - here, there, anywhere
  2. Meditate - surely I can find 10 minutes a day
  3. Pamper - even a shower can be luxurious if you use the right soap...
  4. Move - walk, dance, stretch, sweat, hoop, play...
  5. Maintain - home, finances, health, relationships, cat box, sanity...no wonder they say a woman's work is never done.
  6. Feed - doesn't that sound more positive than cook?
  7. Teach - language, art, music, nature, math, socialization, manners, how to pee in the potty...
  8. Pursue - writing, creative projects, goals, thoughts, challenges...
  9. Connect - with family, friends, neighbors, the checker at the drug store...
  10. Read - it's the easiest way to continue learning
  11. Give - consciously, wholeheartedly, without expectations
  12. Appreciate - I have so much to be grateful for
  13. Manifest - stay present, positive and focused on what I want to achieve. Remember that anything is possible.

1 comment:

Courtney said...

WOW! Awesome list! Puts it in perspective! I'm inspired for the new year! Thanks for this!