Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Happy, happy birthday.

I know it's hard to believe, but this week my blog turns 1. I have been saying NO to Mommy Brain for a whole year and am so darn excited I can hardly stand it. This is sorta how it makes me feel.

The actual date I started this blog was November 8th so I've been waiting semi-patiently for a celebratory cupcake since Saturday. I dropped enough hints to convince my husband that a trip to the bakery was in order but, by the time he arrived, it was nine minutes past closing time. He stood at the glass door, waving cash and pointing desperately at the half empty bakery case while the owner nodded and smiled at him from behind the counter before going back to counting his money.

No luck getting a cupcake on Sunday or Monday because those are the days the bakery is closed. (Seriously, who wants to eat baked goods on a Sunday...?) Today the bakery is open again and I'm debating whether I should wait to see if my husband surprises me with a cupcake, call him at work to beg for validation and chocolate see if he is planning to stop by the bakery on his way home for lunch, or just get myself what I want. If you're married, you know these things are never as easy as they seem.

.....................................

Bill just came home for lunch with a teeny tiny brown paper bag. He handed it to my with a look that said, Don't get your hopes up, and grimaced a little as I pulled out, not one but two cupcakes.

Sweet.

"I'm so bummed," he said. "They didn't have your favorite kind."

Bummed? Ha! Not only did I get two cupcakes instead of one (woo hoo!), they were delivered to me by my sweet and supportive husband who would go to the ends of the Earth to celebrate my successes. Bummed? No. I'd say elated is more like it.

I'm all full up of sugar and carbohydrates now but managed to save a little room for comments. So, go on, wish my blog a happy birthday. You know you want to.

10 comments:

LClaire said...

congrats! It's a big deal babe!

Anna said...

woohoo! congratulations! so your blog isn't the only one around here with a birthday, miss thang. what kind of trouble can we get into friday night???

Girl Healthy said...

Birthdays are awesome! Your blog has the same birthday as me. And my blog is now one month old. I've been thinking of doing a one month birthday post. Happy Happy Birthday to No Mommy Brain. Maybe I'll go get a cupcake to celebrate with you!

Steph said...

Congrats and happy birthday! Your husband is a good, sweet man!

bill said...

happy birthday blog! liam, cloey, 2 cats, and i are proud of your dedication and skills. you're a heck of a wife, mom, and writer. pretty cool.
man, those were good cupcakes. oh, thanks for the props steph. yippee blog!

Halie said...

Thank goodness for No Mommy Brain! Congrats on your first year, and many more to come.

Katie said...

Maggie, I not only want to wish your blog a happy birthday, I want to wish you a week early happy birthday too! Your blog makes me smile and laugh, and you do too! Thank your parents for having sex...:)

Maggie Conran said...

katie, don't ever mention my parents having sex again. gross!

Courtney said...

This past year would have had a lot less laughs if it hadn't been for No Mommy Brain. Happy Birthday to you! You're a funny little blog and you bring a smile to millions...well soon to be millions... And for the millions that aren't reading it...well boo-hoo on them.

Multi-tasking Mama said...

Yay!! Happy Birthday Blog.