Sunday, December 14, 2008

If you like it then you shoulda put a frame on it.

More Christmas decoration ideas from a mom who can't bring herself to throw cute things away!

Like Liam's school projects from last year:

With bright white mats, matching frames, and a little festive ribbon, these toddler crafts look like proper wall hangings. I guess anything can be art if you frame it right.

Like holiday cards!

Before...

A plain board displays some of my favorite cards from 2007.

After!

Stained & decorated with wrapping paper and cards from 2008!

I thought a bulletin board would be an easy and attractive way to display all the great cards and things we receive throughout the month of December. Much better than taping them to the fridge in an organized fashion only to find them strewn about the house day after day like last year (tape, toddlers and dog hair are a bad combination). I found the bulletin board pictured for $8 at Target, stained the wood frame to match my hallway and covered the cork with wrapping paper. Goodbye depressing cubicle, hello cutesy card display! I can arrange and rearrange on a whim and don't have to worry about Liam stealing his favorite pictures (Auntie Moose and Erick were a big hit last year). The more things we stick to it, the better it will look. And, I can change the background paper and keep it up year round for Liam's artwork if I want! (A seasonal bulletin board? My inner first grade teacher gets an A+ for that one!)

Note: The bulletin board looks pretty cute but if I were to do it again, there are a couple of things I would do differently. First of all, I had no idea that stain is such a pain in the neck. I had to sand the frame to get the stain to stick and in the process of sanding, removed all the "wood grain" from the frame (I guess that's what $8 buys you). No wood grain, no point in using stain. Also, unlike paint which can be cleaned up pretty easily, stain um...stains. I'm too clumsy for something that isn't water soluble. Especially something that takes days and days to dry.

In addition to choosing paint with primer instead of stain, I would also recommend using a paper that is matte instead of shiny. You can't really tell from the pictures (because I only posted the good ones) but when I taped the paper to the board, I accidentally made it a little bumpy and wavy (another reason it will look cuter with more cards stuck to it). This wouldn't matter so much with matte paper but as it is each imperfection catches the light differently and sticks out like a sore thumb. It reminds me of the deadly combination of a satin dress and a muffin top. If you want to go shiny, it's got to be smooth.

4 comments:

Girl Healthy said...

I love how the reindeer's antlers stick out around the matte. It adds dimension. Good work!

Katie said...

You kill me! Great job. I also like to hang just the frames, no glass, and a little clip. You can change out their artwork easily and don't have to worry about fingerprints or dangerous glass. Buy funky shaped old frames at thrift stores and paint them all same color. way cute.

Courtney said...

Very impressive!

MarvelousMOM said...

You are so creative! I think I am going to use the frame idea on the kids projects. Such a great idea!