Tuesday, December 9, 2008

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.

I know I've given my in-laws a hard time about their Costco addiction but the truth of the matter is I'm just as bad as they are. I don't buy as much stuff as they do but I would if I could. I love Costco. When we first moved here and I hated my job and didn't have any friends and felt completely lost, I would go there at lunch every day to walk around and feel normal. It was the one place in town I knew my way around.

We generally stick to a pretty specific Costco list (dog food, organic peanut butter, apples, coffee...you know, stuff that won't go bad or require us to build a garage just to store it) but from time to time I like to browse. Occasionally I even buy something.

Like ten pounds of construction paper! I couldn't resist. Colored paper is exactly what my collection of craft supplies was missing. I hauled it into my cart and let my imagination run wild.

Later in the week, I dove into my first construction paper project: making Liam's room Christmassy!

I took down the pictures that are usually displayed on his wire and replaced them with a couple Christmas cards of loved ones and handmade holiday decorations. Like this:

In addition to the construction paper (best $9 I ever spent), I also used a roll of wrapping paper that looks like ribbon (the background of the gingerbread man - $3.99 at Target). It was more economical than using real ribbon or scrap booking paper and added lots of fun pattern and color to my project.

What a fun way for me to combine my love of all things crafty with my deep seated desire to have every room of the house decorated for Christmas!

When I was a kid, there was nothing more magical than laying in bed on the nights leading up to Christmas and staring up at the lights that hung from the snow-covered roof outside my room. I always wondered what it would be like if the lights were actually in my room on my very own little Christmas tree. How cozy and wonderfully festive!

I have supposedly grown up but still find myself drooling over the Pottery Barn Kids holiday catalog. I tear out pictures of kids in matching pajamas and monogrammed sleeping bags laying around the Christmas tree in their room and think, Someday I will have a room like that...

Because that's exactly what every two year old boy needs. A Christmas tree in his room. Wow. I always assumed I would try to live vicariously through my child sooner or later but thought it would be for something a little more victorious than this. Eh, what can you do? I've still got plenty of time to push him; for now, it's all about the decorations.

5 comments:

Courtney said...

Love the decorations! YOu clever little momma!

Steph said...

OMG! You did such a wonderful job. I want to get more crafty! I think the crafty bloggers need to post directions on how to do this stuff so that I can learn! :) You did awesome.

Callie said...

"I tear out pictures of kids in matching pajamas and monogrammed sleeping bags laying around the Christmas tree in their room and think, Someday I will have a room like that..."

I do this too!!

sunny said...

the pics of the decorations look great- but in person it's even cuter! very inspiring... but won't be happening over here :( ooh... new business plan... help other mommies decorate!

Girl Healthy said...

You continue to impress me. When are you leading some workshops? You'll be the moonlighting mama of craftiness.