Saturday, March 7, 2009

Dreaming of a modern-rural-prefab life.

There's this recurring conversation between me and my friends that starts with one of us saying something like, It would be great to live somewhere rural if it wasn't for all the backwood rural aspects, and ends with everyone agreeing that we should totally start a commune.

Now, I don't know what real communes are like but the one is my head involves a happy group of like-minded people living on a big, beautiful plot of land in funky, eco-friendly homes, working together some of the time (for stuff like gardening and home schooling and brewing beer) and co-existing separately at others. Kind of like an attractive trailer park with a hippie twist.

Still not sold? Check out these amazingly affordable kit homes by Rocio Romero (a friend of mine heard her interviewed on NPR and told me about it this morning when the conversation turned toward the commune yet again):

It's hard to say if this is just another flash in the pan idea or if a seed has been planted, but one thing's for sure - my house sure feels a lot darker now than I remember.

3 comments:

LClaire said...

drool . . .

Callie said...

cool... these look similar to Bill Clinton's presidential library in Little Rock. http://www.clintonlibrary.gov/

Halie said...

I'm in! John and I were just talking about this kind of thing last night. He brews beer...