Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Slow...curves ahead.

Remember how I was all, exercising shouldn't be a problem because I can just do it at home or whatever and it's no big deal? Well. I was forgetting one teeny tiny minor detail that could potentially derail the whole get fit operation: I hate exercising at home. OK, maybe I don't hate it (that is kind of a strong word) but I really, really don't like it.

I have a hard enough time getting motivated as it is but when I'm the one who has to count reps and decide what to do next (Was it squats and then lunges or lunges and then squats? Where is my book? Liam, stop closing my book! Mommy is trying to get fit!), forget it. It's way too easy to get distracted and waiting to workout until I have a nice chunk of uninterrupted time has only made me realize that such a thing does not exist.

And don't even get me started on my at home work out space. What used to be an office/guest room with enough room for an impromptu dance party has accidentally turned into what can only be described as a large closet with windows and a fireplace. Last time I peeked, I saw a pack-and-play covered in cat hair, a whale tent, a basketball hoop, an exersaucer, several boxes of hand-me-downs, a few partially unpacked suitcases, some bags of stuff for Goodwill, a couple guitars, several stacks of books and magazines, and a growing to-do pile that I really need TO DO. Liam calls it the crazy clothes store and goes in there to "climb over the mountains" and search for bears. I keep the door closed and pretend it doesn't exist.

But don't think for a second that this lack of motivation and work out space is going to stop me from getting fit. Because it's not. At all. In fact, just last night I took a giant step toward Britney-esque hotness and upgraded my YMCA membership to include all the YMCAs in town. Now I can take full advantage of a wide range of classes including yoga and pilates and uh...step aerobics? Tai chi?

Oh, who am I kidding? I only upgraded for one reason and one reason only: HIP HOP DANCE CLASS! I went last night for the first time and I swear to you I am fitter for it today. It was just like being in dance class when I was 12 years old. We used 8 counts and worked on choreography and cooled down with moves that made me feel like a prima ballerina. And you'll never believe it but the routine we started working on is to the Britney song Circus. I think it's a sign.



What was I saying about not being motivated? Uh, nevermind.

No comments: