Sunday, May 24, 2009

Future wedding crasher.

Bill's mom says one of her favorite things in the world is to watch me and Bill dance at weddings. I'm not exactly sure why - it's not like we know how to do the cha-cha or anything exotic like that (although we did take a ballroom dance class together in college). But what we lack in skills, we certainly make up for in style.

(That bumper sticker "dance like no one is watching" comes to mind...)

Last night at the wedding reception for Bill's cousin (which was amazing, by the way), my mother-in-law begged all night long for us to dance. I tried to put her off at first - I was stuffed from all the delicious wedding food (like one buffet line for shrimp & grits and another for ice cream sundaes) and didn't want to miss out of the friendly folks walking around with trays of sweet tea & vodka cocktails. Plus, from where we were sitting, we couldn't even tell if there was dancing or not (the reception was HUGE and so, so beautiful). Besides, we had a very tired boy with us - it was past Liam's bedtime and he had skipped his nap. But she really wanted to see us dance so we agreed to cruise by the dance floor on our way out.

Well, wouldn't you know it? As soon as we got within earshot of the band I realized they were playing one of my favorite songs. Okay, not really. I mean The Cupid Shuffle is good and all but not exactly a favorite. Still, it's a very fun Zumba routine and the song that inspired random group dancing at the free dance club in Nashville (exactly like in a movie!). Now, I'm pretty sure witnessing a whole club of strangers fall instantly into synchronized choreography is like a once in a lifetime experience. But at a wedding? Of course we're gonna do the shuffle! Wedding receptions are exactly what that song was made for.

So, I dropped my purse and my kid and found a spot on the dance floor. I was doing my thing (To the left, to the left, to the left, to the left. Now kick, now kick, now come on baby kick. And walk it all around...) when who should I see in line next to me but Liam! And he wasn't just standing there either. Noooo way. He was doing the freaking Cupid Shuffle! I swear to you, it was like group dancing was in his blood.

After that initial taste, he could not get enough. He was a dancing machine! (Sorry this video is turned the wrong way - any idea how I can fix it?)

video

It was incredible. I wasn't surprised exactly but very, very impressed. When he wasn't doing all of the "dancy dances" he's learned on Yo Gabba Gabba! or running around the dance floor like a fool caught on fire, he was watching the band. Like seriously watching them. Studying them. And they were so sweet to him - waving at him, giving him thumbs ups and nodding in approval any time he decided to stop watching and bust a move.

video

We had to drag him off the dance floor at one point to use the potty and the entire time he was asking, "Can I go back to that tent now?" I honestly think it will be a night he'll remember for the rest of his life.