Tuesday, August 25, 2009

And while we're on the subject of random clothes...

You know that hip hop dance class at the YMCA I keep talking about? Well, it's awesome. Kind of like the "Jazz" classes I took as a kid only crunker. Anyway, a few times a year the hip hop dance teacher puts on a DANCE PARTY just to, I don't know, blow everyone's mind? Seriously, I don't think there's any other reason she does it other than she loves a good dance party and wants us all to experience one together. How cool is that?

I had never actually been to one of these dance parties, just heard all about them from other Y members. From what I could gather they were kind of like the regular hip hop classes only a thousand times cooler. The group fitness room at the YMCA gets turned into a hot little club with flashing lights and video screens and everyone leaves the party with commemorative t-shirts that they wear to class like, I was there, bitches.

After I accidentally missed the last party, I wanted to kick myself. Everyone in class was gushing about it the next day and the teacher was saying things like, If you liked that, you're going to love the next party. I'm getting some of the guys from the Jabbawockeez to come and it's going to be off the chain! I was like, I don't know what the hell a Jabbawockee is, but I better not miss it. I gotta get my hands on one of those shirts!

(Here's a video of the Jabbawockeez performing on America's Best Dance Crew. Just in case I'm not the only one out there who had never heard of them before.)



Amazing, right?

So, last night was the dance party and it was totally themed around the Jabbawockeez! Well, I guess technically it was a Back to School theme but there was a lot of Jabbawockeez stuff going on - we learned a routine that was a compilation of several of their dances (no head spins, unfortunately), we watched videos of them during water breaks (we danced for more than 2 hours!), and three of them PERFORMED! (I could have reached out and touched them if I wanted but I probably would have been jumped by high school kids.) Even the sheet cake had pictures of them on it. It was totally bad ass!

Oh, and about the shirt? Done and done.

I also filmed myself doing the routine because my sister really wanted to see it and I thought, Sure, why not? It's not like I'm trying to impress anyone. I'll just post the video on my blog! But then I saw it and was like, Whoa, I dance way better in a dark room with no mirrors. Sorry, Moose. I'll have to show you my moves the next time we at da club.

And, in completely unrelated news...

Check out my outfit from our 90s-themed grill out the other night!

I think I basically dressed as myself my sophomore year in high school. You know, before I knew about things like hair straighteners and "product". Like the scrunchie around my wrist? It was the most appropriate "accessory" I could come up with. I kept it on my wrist until it got a little chilly and I had to put on my letterman jacket (what better to pair with a babydoll dress?). Then I tied my hair out of the way in a very soft low pony tail.

Totally cute, right? Not! (Sorry, just a little 90s joke.) We didn't have a costume contest or anything like that but people seemed pretty impressed with my getup. It think it was the super soft hair that won them over. And when NKOTB came on and I busted out the move that David Silver does in the opening credits of 90210 and nailed it, it pretty much sealed the deal.

6 comments:

Girl Healthy said...

I'm still not quite sure what a Jabbawockee is, but I do know that you totally nailed the 90s. Way to go! Are those Docs you're wearing?

hezza said...

that is awesome.
what time is the hip-hop class?
and I do know what a Jabbawockee is and that is very exciting!

My new fav: Massive Monkees, check 'em out.

Katie said...

Fuck Maggie I am still smiling and my face hurts! I saw that pic of you in the babydoll dress and totally thought it WAS YOU our sophomore year, you are still so beautiful and young! Reading that it was staged just made it even funnier! I love it. P.S. I lost my favorite scrunchie on a wave runner at Lahontan and am still sad.

Advanced Child Behavior Solutions said...

Your 90's look is beautiful. That soft hair blowing in the breeze...nothing but a low pony will work!

I am bummed about the dance posting- you are a totally good dancer and an inspiration to us all, put it up already!

Molly said...

um...I decided not to use my company's name to post comments (oops!) I didn't even notice that that was happening and I am not quite sure how to fix it!

caroline said...

looked at a new urban outfitters catalogue yesterday and i swear they stole that 90's picture of you and are using it to sell their latest line...