Monday, August 10, 2009

Peanut butter banana muffins.

Yesterday our friends invited us over for a tomato themed pot luck brunch to round out the fun filled tomato weekend we had in our neighborhood. Everyone made a dish that revolved around tomatoes (tomato pie, peach and tomato salad, succotash, tomatoes with mozzarella and balsamic, husbandmade pizza with tomatoes, bacon and basil, Bloody Marys...) except me, who made peanut butter, banana and chocolate chip muffins.

What can I say? I wanted to bring something my child would eat and couldn't bring myself to put a tomato in a muffin (even if it is, technically, a fruit). The muffins were a hit so I thought I would share the super quick and easy recipe here.

It is one of the better recipes I have tried from the Deceptively Delicious cookbook (it's very hit or miss - chocolate chip cookies with chickpeas? FAIL) but has been altered to better suit my family and the contents of our fridge (chocolate chips instead of more sugar, unsweetened apple sauce instead of cauliflower puree...). Enjoy!

Peanut Butter & Banana Muffins with Chocolate Chips

1/2 C brown sugar
1/2 C natural peanut butter
1/2 C unsweetened apple sauce
1/2 C chocolate chips
2 mashed bananas
1 egg white
1 C whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350. Line or spray muffin tin (makes 12 regular sized muffins, lots more if they're mini!).

Mix brown sugar, peanut butter, banana, applesauce and egg white. Add dry ingredients and chocolate chips, stir to combine (don't overmix).

Divide batter among muffin tins and bake until tops are lightly browned and toothpick comes out clean - 15 - 20 minutes.

They're no homemade pizza (with crust and sauce from scratch!), but it doesn't look like Bill is giving up his recipe any time soon. Your kids will definitely eat these though. (Oh, wait, most kids will eat pizza, too? Well, I suppose my child must be extra special and unique, that's all.)

1 comment:

erin said...

I'm so happy to see this recipe, I'm crying tears of joy. You have made the world a better place with these magical muffins.