Sunday, December 13, 2009

Freakin' weekend.

It's 5:00 on Sunday evening and the weekend is starting to come to an end. And, oh, what a weekend it was.

Friday night I did as little as possible which was every bit as great as it sounds. I got in bed before 9:00 and stayed there for the rest of the night. I had a date with my Snuggie (sorry, my two Snuggies) and all of the guilty pleasure shows I Tivo'd this fall and forgot to watch. A two hour Ugly Betty season premiere? Okay!

Saturday was a surprise ladies day. I was on my way to the salon to get my mane tamed (every time I go to Reno I notice how awful my hair looks - my mirror at home must be very forgiving...) when I got a call from a friend asking if I wanted to meet up for a manicure or pedicure (I mean, mani or pedi - sorry, I'm kinda new to all this girl stuff). I said yes, obviously, and headed over to the nail salon as soon as my new hair cut was blown out to perfection. It was sort of like an out of body experience. Like, Who do I think I am going to two salons in one day?! But it was awesome. As it turns out, being a girl is really fun.

My pretty red toe nails were finally dry around 4:30, at which point I realized, I have a party to go to tonight and still do not have a dress to wear or a babysitter to stay with my child. Thanks to a desperate plea on Facebook, the kindness of a particular stranger, and the cute and affordable dress selection at Target, everything was taken care of quickly and by dinnertime we were eating burgers and fries from Fat Mo's and watching America's Funniest Home Videos with Liam (the only show we all find genuinely entertaining).

We put Liam to bed, got dressed for the party, met our new babysitter, and took off for a night on the town. Or, a night at our friend's house. Which, if you've ever been to one of her parties, you would know is like ten thousand times more fun than ANY night on the town has ever been.

The lovely hostess trying like hell to avoid a keg stand.

Did someone order a dance party? Done.

Hey-oh!

Yes Virginia, those are jello shots.

Hubba, hubba, husband.

More general fun and merriment outside.

This morning when I finally rolled out of bed I had nothing on my agenda but chilling with my boys and maybe unpacking from our trip to Reno. But then I got invited to go have a burger at Edgefield Sports Bar and watch the Titans play and, well, that's just not something you turn down. Bill and I went in shifts: I "watched" the first half while he stayed home with Liam, then I came home so he could go. It's not perfect but neither is letting a stranger watch TV at your house while your innocent child sleeps. We'll figure it out one of these days...

When I got home from Edgefield, I was prepared to hang out with Liam and put my unpacking off for another day. But he needed some "private time in the living room" (don't ask me - if he wants to be alone, I leave him alone!) so I got to finish watching Ugly Betty (2 hours is long!) and get the suitcases out of my bedroom. Win-win! (One of Liam's favorite sayings at the moment.)

I was feeling pretty darn satisfied with my weekend: down time, socializing, practically a full make-over, more burgers than the surgeon general would likely advise for a whole week - what more could a girl want?

How about her very own book available on Amazon.com?!



I wasn't expecting it to be up there for at least another week or two. I mean, really, why say 15 days when what you really mean is 3 days? Not that I'm complaining. No way, Jose. I'm THRILLED! Seeing a book by little ol' me up on Amazon is really cool. And a super way to end a fantastic weekend.

Not that it was perfect...

Yeah, that's Baby Black Bear AND Baby Panda... IN THE TOILET.

But overall, it was pretty hard to beat.

3 comments:

hezza said...

Damn. I left that party way too early. I am only two weeks out from surgery and poop out easily.

That pic of Liam is classic. I haven't laughed that hard in a while.

jen scaffidi said...

I can't decide which is funnier: imagining all the ways BOTH bears got into the toilet, or wondering what little Liam is thinking while he's crying and his mom is taking a picture of the tragedy. You are wonderful (and congrats again on the book!).

sunT said...

omg is it awful that i was dying laughing at the toliet pic? i can just IMAGINE what that moment was like.... HORRIBLE i am sure!

but when he is 16.... PRICELLEEEEESSSSSS!!