Friday, January 29, 2010

A fresh perspective.

Over the summer, my sister came to town to see a client and she and her boss stayed at our house. They worked long hours during the day but we got them all to ourselves for dinner each night. It was wonderful, as always, to have Auntie Moose in the house, and fun for us to play host and hostess to someone new.

Later, my sister told me that we'd have to have her boss and his girlfriend out to visit us again sometime.

"Of course," I told her. "Anytime."

"He told his girlfriend that she has to see how you guys live because that's exactly what he wants their life to be like someday."

"Seriously? But we barely even spent any time with him at all."

"Yeah, but the way you guys hang out and make dinner together and listen to music and have conversations - not everyone does that. Like, not at all. Being at your house feels really really good."

I was completely flattered, even if didn't exactly know what she meant. I mean, who doesn't want to hear that her house feels like a home? It felt like the ultimate compliment.

But tonight while relaxing in the tub, the sound of Bill's new playlist* and aroma of his latest and greatest recipe** floating through the warm air of the heater vent, it dawned on me: that was so not my compliment.

Sure I do a lot to make this house a warm and welcoming place to live, but when my husband's not here, it's a far cry from home. I wouldn't have known this of course, had he not left for a few days. But he returned this morning from a 3 day business trip (because he's awesome and earned a promotion) and this evening our house feels, once again, like a home. As I lay in the bath listening to the joy and goodness bubbling up from my kitchen, I experienced what my life must feel like to an outsider. And it made me feel grateful beyond compare.

*On the playlist: The Kings of Leon, Avett Brothers, Phoenix, Frank Sinatra and The Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs to name a few.

**On the menu: Buffalo Chicken Chili. Oh my spicy goodness...

6 comments:

mockingbird said...

y'all are awesome...and it wouldn't be complete without someone Bill wanted to do that for! you guys are awesome and worth it. ;) glad to know you.

mockingbird said...

oh, and I forgot to say, how Awesome you all are! ha.

Molly said...

Bill is such a great guy- A wonderful husband and father. You are a wonderful wife to appreciate him and give him such a nice shout-out. You guys are, and always have been, an inspiration!

Clean Fresh Mommy said...

All right, you must post the recipe for Buffalo Chicken Chili... sounds delicious!

Katie said...

beautiful...

Courtney said...

Y'all are such a sweet, loving, and fun family!