Friday, January 8, 2010

Knocked up.

Over the years I've witnessed some pretty clever pregnancy announcements. My friend Trish gave all of us girls cards over dinner one night and when we opened them at the same time we found an ultrasound picture and her due date tucked inside. My friend Summer tied a ribbon around her positive pregnancy test and left it on the bathroom sink for her husband to discover when he woke up. A girl I work with gave "World's Best Grandma" t-shirts to her mother and mother-in-law for Christmas and made sure the video camera was rolling when they both unwrapped their gifts (their reactions were priceless). Another girl I know served her family baby back ribs, baby corn and baby carrots for dinner and tried not to giggle as she waited for them to make the connection.

You would think that with all this inspiration in my life, my pregnancy announcement would really be one to remember. And I had hoped it would be. But... I've got nothing.

I've known I was pregnant since December 2nd. And for at least most of that time I've been racking my brain, trying to come up with a clever way to break the news (for about 2 weeks during Christmas I was just trying not to barf - but I'm better now). Do you want to know the most clever thing I came up with? Ugh. Here goes...
I would start yet another post about how much I love my Snuggie. Maybe I'd say that when Liam gets cozy with two Snuggies, he calls it a matate (one of his made up words). Or tell about how fun it was when my friend brought over her Snuggie and we had a Snuggie-fest/movie night. I would say how happy I was that I got not one but two Snuggies for my birthday - one from my cousin and one from my husband. Then I'd say something like, "but that's not all my husband gave me on my birthday..." And then I'd post this:
and say something like, "I think R. Kelly would be proud" (you know, because he has that awful song called "Birthday Sex").
I know! It's terrible. Especially when you consider my mother-in-law and other grown ups I respect and admire read this drivel from time to time. Really, the last thing I need is people like that thinking about me having sex. Even though, obviously, the jig is up. (Being pregnant is a dead giveaway: sex has been had.)

I also wanted to wait to tell people until it was "safe". Until I was out of the danger zone for miscarriage and could easily share the news without crossing my fingers and hoping it would stick. I spent 8 days in Reno with all of our family and didn't tell a soul (except my sister but that doesn't really count). As much as I would have loved to tell them in person, I couldn't tell them without telling Liam and I didn't want to tell him until I had gotten a big thumbs up from my doctor. That would be really hard news to take back from a 3 year old.

So I waited.

The week before Christmas I had an ultrasound and Bill and I got to see the teeny tiny beating heart (and the tail!) with our very own eyes. It was just the confirmation I was waiting for. I couldn't stop myself any more. I had to tell Liam.

He was thrilled. He made me tell the pets and all of his stuffed animals "the good news" (individually) and immediately started referring to his "sister Gretchen" who was growing in my belly (Gretchen is the name of our fluffier cat). He makes sure I am sharing my food and drinks with the baby and has already decided where she will sleep when she comes out.

His excitement made me wonder if I had jumped the gun. What if something went wrong now? What if I miscarried? What if there was something wrong with the baby? What if, what if, what if? But miscarriages happen. Babies are stillborn. Toddlers get cancer. Kids get his by cars. SHIT HAPPENS. If I'm waiting until it is 100% guaranteed safe, I'll be waiting forever. We're never really out of the woods. But who the hell wants to live like that?

So I told him. And I'm telling you. And I'm not scared or worried or crossing my fingers. I'm just really, really excited.

My only hesitation in "coming out" is that I haven't had the chance to personally share the news with everyone I would have liked to. Perhaps I'll still get the chance but it's hard. For one, that's a lot of phone calls! But more than that, it just feels kind of awkward making the "enough about you, let's talk about me!" call. And I've totally missed the boat for telling anyone in person. I can still do it, of course, but it won't exactly be an announcement. "Hey, super cute...um, are those maternity jeans you're wearing?"

Yes. Yes they are.

I don't know if this is a 2nd pregnancy thing or what (although now that I think about it, I showed right away with Liam too), but I'm like really pregnant already. The other night I was asleep when the dog started to pace. I sat up really fast and turned around to point her back to bed (since she can't hear we have resorted to air traffic control tactics) and pulled an ab muscle I didn't know I had.

Ouch.

But I suppose it's all just part of the journey. I'm one fourth of the way there and picking up speed. Gretchen, here we come!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

you look wonderful! So excited to meet baby Gretchin!!!!

(this is Molly...it will only let me post under our work email and that is inappropriate)

No Mommy Brain said...

it's weird when you call yourself "molly". i was just about to message you to tell you to look at the post so you could see my lovely baby bump. :)

Jaime Sarrio said...

Sorry I outed you at the nail salon. I still feel badly about that. But I am happy it is no longer a secret! I am so excited for you guys and for Big Brother!

jen scaffidi said...

Wooooooooooo!

Callie said...

Congrats! So excited for you! :)

Sandy Winfrey said...

woot woot! So excited for you!!!

hezza said...

Now I am super excited to see you on Saturday!!!!

Clean Fresh Mommy said...

I think your post title is the perfect announcement! Congrats and enjoy every second!

(from your Chicago reader who still wants to move south :)

Multi-tasking Mama said...

Congrats! So happy for you.

erin said...

The world is so lucky to be having another awesome Conran entering the scene. I can't wait for Gretchen to get here!

Katie said...

Oh Maggie and Bill!!!! I am so so excited for you guys and I will be calling you tomorrow. But it is midnight now and I don't want to piss you off, so I will wait. But I was in tears reading your blog and I loved it and especially the pic of you and Liam. BEautiful.

Amy said...

congrats! exciting news!

Cora White said...

Oh yeah congrats to you. We waited forever to tell and that seemed to help create a whole stress thing that clouded the entire pregnancy. I lost my waist right away the second time as well.

Enjoy and many happy thoughts on your family's new blessing.

Courtney said...

Thrilled that your family is growing! So exciting!

Annie said...

Congrats, Maggie! Bring on the bump!

Mama B said...

Congratulations! and it's true, with each subsequent child you start showing earlier and earlier! I am pregnant with number 3 and was in maternity pants by 6 weeks!

Congratulationagain! Such an exciting time!