Monday, March 22, 2010

It's a...

First things first - if you have a choice when scheduling your 20 week ultrasound, I would highly recommend a Monday morning appointment. There's hardly any time for butterflies in your stomach because before you know it the weekend is over and you're waking up late and rushing out the door. So much easier than sitting around speculating all week.

We had planned on taking Liam with us to the ultrasound so he could hear the big news from an impartial source. Kind of a cop out I know, but it seemed like it might be less of a blow if a stranger told him Gretchen was a boy than if we had to break the news ourselves. But at the last minute, he decided he'd rather go to his friend Sia's house than tag along with us to the baby doctor. He's such a smart kid. Last time he went with us, he got a little bored half way through and Bill had to take him out to the waiting room to play with the super cool magnetic car table while I finished up my appointment. While that was totally fine, there are some days a girl really wants her husband all to herself. Today was one of those days.

I was grateful to have Bill by my side as the tech checked out all of our baby's parts - heart, brain, kidneys, bladder, legs...and told us everything looked great. And, not having Liam at the appointment gave me the chance to try something out that Bill had wanted to do but I was too impatient to go for. He wanted to have the ultrasound tech write down the baby's sex on a piece of paper so we could give it to a bakery and ask them to make us cupcakes with pink jelly beans on top if it was a girl and blue jelly beans on top if it was a boy. A cute idea but not for me. I couldn't imagine purposely waiting longer to find out if our baby was a girl or a boy. Fortunately Liam inherited his patience from someone other than me.

He was all too happy to wait for our special mother-son date to hear about Gretchen. Then again, there isn't much he won't do for ice cream and candy...

video

So, there you have it. Gretchen is a boy.

A boy.

A boy!

A BOY!!!

My littlest thinker.

11 comments:

Annie said...

Gah! So cute! Love this little peanut in there thinking so hard! Wish I had put some money on this...or at least had a cupcake with blue jelly beans on it. Congratulations, Maggie, Bill and Liam!

Grandmother Fancy said...

We are so happy for you,Bill,and Liam. Both of you are great boy parents----lucky little "Bird'. Granddad Patches was really surprised and I can barely wait for the next 20 weeks to fly by so I can get my hands on him. New outfit on the way and a toy for big brother. His sonogram photo is GREAT! Another miracle for all of us to enjoy.

Neil Edwards said...

The video is precious. Congratulations to you!

Callie said...

awww....congrats!! I'm so excited for y'all!! And my intuition about these things is always wrong! :)

No Mommy Brain said...

thanks all! we are very excited. :)

Todd Stringer said...

Congrats you guys. I think Liam will love teaching his little brother. It's a responsibility he will welcome.

Anonymous said...

I love sweet Liam trying to be "great" with the news. It was meant to be this way- I can't wait to have another wonderful nephew!! I can't believe how much Bird Conran III looks like Liam Conran III. Impressive genes!

-Moose

Katie said...

Yippee!! So excited for you both! It has been great raising 2 boys, and especially raising BROTHERS!
love the video too, Liam handled it very very well:)

Cora White said...

adorable video. Congrats.
How super fun

Amy said...

Congrats!

Courtney said...

Awesome! And I love the video!
That baby boy is lucky to have all 3 of you ;)