Thursday, July 15, 2010

Showered with love.

Over the weekend, a couple of the loveliest girls I know hosted a baby shower for me and my new little bundle of joy. "What's that?" you say. "A baby shower for your second baby? Isn't that a little...tacky?" No, it's not. And do you know how I know it's not? Two reasons. 1) When I wondered that very same thing to my sister she said, "What? Like the second baby isn't good enough for a party of his own? Only the first baby gets to be celebrated? That's crap. As the second child I am totally offended." And 2) Girls in The South know things. If two southern girls offer to throw you a baby shower, you accept, dammit. And you know for a fact that a second baby shower is as proper as putting on the good apron to greet your guests.

You Nevadans thought I was joking about the apron...
How awesome is it that I wasn't?!

The shower was so much fun and really a truly wonderful way to celebrate this baby. And this mama. I can't even tell you how spoiled I felt. It was awesome! When I asked what I could do to help, I was told to just show up looking motherly and be prepared to ooh and aah over teeny tiny presents.

Done and done.

At one point (probably while I was stuffing my face with blueberry coffee cake and grits...), one of my friends pulled out a Polaroid camera and a photo album and everyone got to work making me a one-of-a-kind guest book.

Can I just say, there is nothing better than having a totally FINISHED scrapbook of something you really treasure. I should have invited this group over to document Liam's first year...

The shower couldn't have come at a better time. All of the darling outfits and blankies and bottles and toys I oohed and aahed over like a good little Mama did something to me that 9 months of pregnancy simply haven't - they made me realize that I am going to have a baby. Now, don't get me wrong, obviously I am well aware that I'm having a baby. But this isn't Liam Round 2; it's Finn! We are bringing a brand new person into our family. Into the world. And with him will come a million completely new experiences. Who woulda thought a teeny little onesie could be so powerful?

The timing was also great because, according to the midwife I saw yesterday, this baby could potentially be here soon. Like, VERY SOON. She said things like, "He's nice and low and in a great position," and "Your cervix is very soft and thin," and "You're already open about 1 cm!" and "I'll schedule your next three visits but I doubt you'll need them all."

Um, you guys? My last appointment is scheduled for August 4th. FIVE DAYS before my due date. While I know this little bambino could very well decide he isn't ready to come out for quite some time, he could also want to meet us, like, tomorrow. Either way, we will have one of these in our home very, very soon.

And thanks to the shower full of goodies and the kick in the pants I so desperately needed from the midwife, we will most likely be ready when he is!

1 comment:

Celina said...

Maggie, you look so beautiful and glowy in that first pic. :) Congratulations! :D