Friday, April 29, 2011

Auntie M.

Finn and I recently got to spend a gloriously lazy two days in Reno with my one and only sister, Moose. The reason for the trip was twofold: one, I wanted to share my totally awesome baby with his extended family (he was decidedly less awesome last time I took him to visit); and two, I simply HAD to spend some time with my sister before she became a mom.

Right? I mean, just look at that beautiful belly! I couldn't not see her pregnant. My husband was like, "Why would you go see her now? Wouldn't it make more sense to wait until after she has the baby?" And sure, I guess there's some logic to that. But I'm not talking about logic, I'm talking about me and Moose. Okay, that didn't come out right. But you know what I mean. Oprah and Gayle would totally understand.

Besides the fact that I wanted to celebrate one of the most incredible, mind altering, heart exploding, completely transformative experiences she will ever go through EVER, there was also a teeny tiny (super selfish) part of me that knew that once she became a mom she'd be a little less mine. It's kind of like when she got married. While I totally adore her husband and think they have a wonderful marriage and truly special relationship, the bastard kind of stole her from me. You know what I mean. It's like she used to be mine and now she's his.

Or at least she was until this little bundle of love showed up.

My nephew, Jack William.
Stealing hearts since late last Wednesday.

I know! Isn't he the most beautiful baby ever! I mean, since my babies of course. He's just...I mean...he's so...the kid leaves me speechless! And I knew he was going to be like that. I just knew it. So I couldn't wait to visit Moose. I had to swoop in and grab one last weekend before he whisked her away forever.

So the weekend before her due date I hopped on a flight with my newest love bug and we flew across the country to hang out on the couch with my sister.

The only time on the plane he wasn't growling or licking the window...

Making the most of our four hour layover...

The weekend was perfect. Really truly exactly what I needed. One last hurrah. (If by hurrah you mean watching back-to-back Glee episodes while making our way through a truck load of fancy popcorn, leaving the house only to see grandparents or eat nachos or get pedicures, and having a non-stop Us Weekly fueled slumber party on her ridiculously comfy sectional.)

Hurrah!

But maybe the greatest part of my selfish sister weekend was something I hadn't even considered. Finn got his first (and possibly only) shot at some one-on-one time with the most amazing aunt in the world.

And even though he probably won't remember it, I always will. Not only did I adore seeing them together (like love times cute to the power of awww...), it really made me think about the kind of aunt I want to be. Moose has set the bar unattainably high. She remembers to celebrate every birthday and holiday and first day of school and job well done. She sends letters and cards just because and takes gift-giving to another level (a karaoke machine for a four year old? really?). Plus her husband is a rock star uncle who invented the greatest game in the history of games and taught Liam how to play Angry Birds.

They win. No contest.

But there's no reason I can't at least try to come in second, right? The good news (or really really bad news...) is that I didn't even have to wait for Jack to be born to step up my game. I actually already had nephews (my sister-in-law's boys). And they're super fantastic! But I've been a terrible aunt. Like, not even in the same league as Aunt Moose. It's pathetic.

I blame my boys. I mean, not really, but sort of. I'm fairly certain that if I didn't have my own children to raise and love and think about ALL THE TIME, it might actually be possible for me to get a Christmas gift in the mail on time or remember a birthday once in a while. Maybe not. But I like to think that's why Moose is amazing and I am not.

Although, if that's the case, that means the days of Amazing Aunt Moose are over. Crap! Well, at least Liam got five good years with her. And Finn, well, I guess I'll just show him pictures from our fun-filled weekend in Reno and remind him that quality is just as good as quantity.

Or maybe I'm completely wrong. Maybe the reason Moose was a great aunt wasn't because she didn't have kids of her own but because she's Moose. And she's awesome! That's very possible, you know. She's kind of amazing. But wait. If that's the case then I have no excuse for being a terrible aunt other than I SUCK. Darn. But, you know what, as long as it means my boys will get to keep Auntie Moose, I suppose I could live with that.

Jack says he'll think it over and get back to me...

I talked to Moose on the day she got home from the hospital and she was completely over-the-moon in love. "We had the most incredible morning," she said to me as she started to cry. "Jack was on my chest just looking up at me and *sniffle* he's so strong! He grabbed onto my shirt with his hands and lifted himself up to look at me. Ohmygod, I'm totally crying. It was just...he's amazing! We just sat there staring at each other for like twenty minutes. It was incredible. I love him so much..."

I knew exactly how she felt.

I hate to break it to you boys but Auntie Moose is toast. My sister is totally a mom.

(Hopefully the slingshots and chocolate eggs I sent my nephews for Easter earned my boys some good auntie ju-ju...)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much, sis! I don't take the role of Aunt very lightly- I will still be awesome. Really, this post is so touching...I love you!