Sunday, May 8, 2011

I heart mother's day.

Last mother's day I noticed that a lot of people had posted the following quote as their Facebook status:

"A mother is a person who seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie."

Seriously, I think that might be the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I mean, who pretends not to like pie so their kids can have it all to themselves? Ever heard of sharing? Or leading by example? How are your kids supposed to learn to fend for themselves if you never show them how? I don't even really like pie but if there happens to be one in my vicinity you can bet your sweet ass I'm going to have some. With my kids. Because stuff like that is actually way more fun when you share.

Anyway. I'm glad that I didn't see that quote posted anywhere this year. Maybe we're learning. Maybe the whole, "Put your oxygen mask on first and then assist your children..." philosophy is starting to sink in to our collective consciousness.

Or maybe I just haven't been on Facebook today.

Instead I've been allowing myself to be spoiled. I slept until 11. I had breakfast in bed. (Bill and Liam made French toast twice - the first time they brought it in I was like, "You guys, 9:00 is not sleeping in...") Liam keeps saying, "We want to do whatever you want to do. It's your day, Mama!" And I'm more than happy to oblige him. We went for a walk. I didn't feed the baby...

I imagine (because of that quote) that some moms struggle with this sort of thing but I really, really don't. I guess being selfish just isn't that hard for me. On mother's day, for sure, but at other times too. What can I say? I just know that if I suffocate and die because I'm putting on everyone else's mask first, we're all screwed.

So I eat the pie. And you know what? I honestly believe it's what's best for my kids.

Take the mother's day card Liam made for me at school. Inside he drew a picture of a beautiful sun and a cloud and a rainbow and wrote, "She always does nice meditations. When she sleeps she lets me watch shows."

Sleeps as in sleeps in. Because sometimes I can't be bothered to get up with him first thing in the morning. So he gets up and makes himself breakfast and watches a show and lets me sleep until I'm ready to start the day. AND HE LOVES IT. It's like his 2nd favorite thing about me! And while I suspect that for now he's just enjoying his independence, my hope is that he's also learning - by example, of course - to go through life saying yes to pie.

Mother's Day 2011

And now if you'll excuse me, it's time for our annual mother's day night out! (It's that thing where like a bunch of moms leave their families at home on mother's day night to go have drinks with their girlfriends at a bar wearing aprons!) It's a fun tradition and one I would encourage all of you to start. (We'll be at 3 Crow if you're local and awesome!). I promise - your family will be just fine without you.

Cheers to all you amazing mothers out there! Tonight I'll raise my glass to you and you and you...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome- I love sending the boys back to the kitchen! Have fun drinking in your apron!!

Anonymous said...

I love the posts with little tidbits about your parenting style. Happy mothers day!