Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Just when I thought I might never write again.

I've been having a little bit of writer's block lately. The kind of block that isn't a block so much as an absolute lack of desire to sit anywhere near a computer and even so much as attempt to write. Maybe I'm not blocked at all. Shoot, for all I know I might have a landslide come out if I tried. But my brain's just not in it. I think it's on on summer vacation or something. All it can really handle right now is picking out two ice cream flavors that go well together. Which is nothing to shake a stick at when your choices include Riesling Poached Pear and Black Coffee...

I'm getting ahead of myself.

We have a new ice cream shop in our neighborhood that is totally adorable and within walking distance. Which, by my calculations...a 15 minute walk pushing a 20 pound baby in a stroller up and down hills while doing deep belly breathing to prevent the panic that would otherwise set in watching an unleashed five year old speed down hills on his itty bitty bike with no pedals + summertime + ice cream = absolutely no excuse not to get ice cream whenever we darn well please!

I mean, seriously, what would you do?

Good Time from Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams on Vimeo.

Adorable, no?

So today after Liam's first day of summer school (he was supposed to go last week but we all slept in...jet lag is tricky), we walked over to Jeni's to get ourselves a little treat.

He drew the three of us smiling and saying "yum."
(Finn is the little one trying to grab the bird "so he could taste it."

By the time we were finished and ready to walk home, the clouds had all blown away and the uncharacteristically temperate and lovely weather we had been enjoying all day had disappeared. Now it felt pretty much how Tennessee normally feels at the end of June - hot and sticky. This was a bummer for us. We don't really do that well in the heat. I immediately get sweaty (mostly just my face and hair so...that's hot) and Liam sort of withers and melts into a pouty pool of his usual self.

The walk home was LONG but we made it. When we finally rolled up to our front porch, Finn was half asleep, I was dripping sweat all over him trying to get him out of the stroller and Liam was, well, crazy.

Out of nowhere he started yell-singing, "Poooossy, pooossy, pooosy, pooosy, poooosseeee!"

"What was that?" I asked cautiously. I mean, I know what it was. It was my five year old son singing "pussy" loudly in my front yard. But why? Why?!

"Pooosy! Pooosy, pooosy, poooosy!!"

"Why are you saying that?" I said, laughing nervously. "Do you mean 'pushy'? Like how I'm 'pushing' the stroller?" Of course! Why hadn't I thought of that at first? "I get it now - pushy, pushy, pushy..."

"Pussy!"

"I don't...you're crazy, man. I mean, if you're not saying pushy I have NO IDEA what you're saying."

"What? I'm just saying pussy. What's wrong with that?"

"Nothing. I just. I don't understand why you're saying it."

"Finny and I just love pussy! Don't we, Finn? Yes we do!"

"Okay, whatever. You guys are nuts."

"From now on, whenever you say anything I'm going to say pussy."

"Yeah, okay. Whatever."

"Pussy!"

"Can you get out of the way so I can get the stroller up the stairs?"

"Pussy!"

"I'm going to lay Finny down so can you-"

"Pussy!"

"Would you just get the stuff out of the stroller?"

"Pussy!"

"Okay, I think we've had enough of th-"

"PUSSY!!!"

Wow. You know? I mean, I just never would have seen that coming. It was so unexpected it shook me right out of my writer's block. And even though I'm still a little like, What?! about the whole "pushy" business, it feels really good to be sitting at the computer, writing something down. Especially since the clouds came back and I'm sitting on my front porch under the ceiling fan not sweating. So I guess I owe Liam a thank you. That kid never ceases to inspire me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my god, Mag...you really out did yourself here. I read this in the middle of the night while breastfeeding- impossible to not wake Erick and arouse Jack...so funny!!! I was doing that snort thing that happens in Libraries and Yoga classes when laughing is inappropriate. wow...really.

No Mommy Brain said...

church giggles?! awesome! tell jack and erick i'm sorry. actually, no, blame it on liam instead. ;)

Anonymous said...

Has Liam been listening to Cheech and Chong?
-Katie

No Mommy Brain said...

one would hope...i honestly have NO idea where he got it!