Sunday, July 31, 2011

Winner winner, tofu dinner.

Thanks for commenting on my previous post! I put all the entries into a hat (there were a couple on Facebook, too) and had Liam draw a name...

First he had to fix his contact.
Okay, now he can draw a name...

Congratulations, Caddie!! Please email me your address (nomommybrain@gmail.com) and I'll get the book shipped off to you right away. I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I do!

And speaking of family dinner...

The other night I did a Google search based on ingredients we had in the house (mango, lime, tofu) to figure out what to make for dinner (don't you love that?). The recipe I found was so easy and delicious I wanted to share it with you!

Vietnamese Mango Stir Fry

2 ripe mangoes cut into cubes (slice off "cheeks", score fruit in skin, flip inside out and slice off fruit...like this)

3 Tbs Shoyu (or soy sauce), juice from 1 lime, 1 tsp sugar, half tsp salt, quarter tsp black pepper, mixed together until sugar and salt dissolved

1/2 C (give or take) vegetable oil

1 block of extra firm tofu (pressed, cut into cubes and marinaded briefly in Shoyu)

2 cloves finely minced garlic

1 C trimmed green beans

Half a cup of cashews (Thai Lime & Chili Cashews from Trader Joes spice this dish up perfectly and make you feel like an Iron Chef! I just left them out of the kids' dishes.)

Brown Rice (I usually make a cup at a time - bring 1 C uncooked rice, 2-1/4 C water, 1 Tbs butter, 1/2 tsp salt to a boil, cover, reduce heat, simmer for 45 minutes)

Heat the oil in a wok until very hot. Cook tofu until browned on all sides, remove with a slotted spoon or spatula and place on a paper towel. Take the wok off the heat and stir fry garlic for a few seconds in remaining oil. Return the wok to the heat, add the green beans and stir fry for a minute or two. Return tofu to wok and add sauce. Mix well, then add mango. Stir gently until warmed through. Serve on brown rice and garnish with cashews. Enjoy!

If you don't like tofu, I suppose you could use chicken (poor chickens! just kidding...kinda). We used green beans because Bill just brought them home from the grocery, but I think pretty much any green vegetable that cooks up quickly would work (snap peas, broccoli, shelled edamame...).

{The original recipe is here but I made a bunch of changes...like you do.}

PS - Bill felt it was important for you to know that Liam is not naked in these photos. It's just really hot here so the boys strip down to their skivvies every chance they get. Also? My book is the "used" copy in the photos; yours is brand spanking new and has never been man-handled by my five year old. : )

1 comment:

Caddie said...

I am famous; my name is in a picture on the internet!!!! :-)

Thank you!!!!