Saturday, August 27, 2011

Eleven is the new ten.

Bill and I celebrated our 11th anniversary yesterday. That's ELEVEN YEARS of wedded bliss. Or at least nine. Maybe nine and a half.

The entire first year of our marriage was a challenge. And then if you add up all the other off days and fights and times we weren't on the same page and miscommunications and bad moods and annoying habits (like chewing gum like a cartoon secretary - Bill - or acting like the boss of the entire world - me) and times of the month and empty bank accounts and "that look" or "that tone of voice", I'm sure we've got at least another year, year and a half of not so wedded bliss.

But that's the deal, right? In good times and in bad. It's funny. Most married people take those vows but how many of us ever think about them again once the "I dos" have been said? I know I never do. Except for maybe when Bill gets sick. "Fine. I'll get you more juice. But only because I vowed I would." Other than that, they hardly ever cross my mind.

But last night as we snuck out the front door (date night - woohoo!), I suddenly thought, "In good times and in bad..." and realized THIS is one of the good times we promised each other. A night out together, just the two of us, to celebrate our marriage.

Eleven years of choosing each other. Of putting our relationship first. Of growing more into who we are without growing apart from one another. A night to toast our past, our present and our future. Our family...

Yep, definitely one of the good times...

3 comments:

Alexa Egeck said...

Wow Maggs, this made me cry! Such an adorable family you have, so blessed. I can't believe you were 22 when you got married, that's MY age!! Yet you seemed so mature to my eleven year old self... :)

No Mommy Brain said...

i know! crazy, right? i'm so happy you were a part of our wedding. : )

Anne said...

I love you Maggie Day Conran!!! And ofcourse I love my Bill to pieces. You two are awesome