Thursday, August 11, 2011

First day of Kindergarten.

Remember that bird bath? It's a little hard to see with Liam towering over it like that but it's the very same one he used to stand on tiptoe to peer into. Yes, I know. Seems hard to imagine now...

Today is his first day of Kindergarten. Real school. His first big step out of our nest. The beginning of the end... All of it.

But, you know what? It was actually pretty great. We all got up and out the door on time. We had lovely weather for our walk to school. Liam saw one of his best buddies as soon as we arrived. He led us to his classroom, put his fancy new backpack in his cubby, sat down with kids he knew and started stringing plastic beads onto what I can only imagine will be a yarn necklace for his mother. We said goodbye, he said goodbye...the whole thing was surprisingly easy-peasy.

And after our "boo hoo" parents' breakfast (where we didn't even cry!), we caught a glimpse of him in the library, sitting with his class looking very handsome and attentive and like he was exactly where he needed to be. In Kindergarten. Real school. I couldn't have felt more proud if I tried.

I love you, big boy. And now that you have your own life and "job" and circle of friends, I will try really hard to let your business be YOUR business. Liam's World will be for family and friends only (so let me know if you want an invite!) and I will try to keep the sharing and bragging about you on this website to a minimum. This is going to be REALLY hard for me. You're just such an incredible person and I know you have a lot to teach this world. You've already inspired more people in your short five-and-a-half years than some people do in their entire lives. What can I say? You're one of the greatest people I've ever met in my entire life.

Okay, now I'm crying. I should have quit while I was ahead...

4 comments:

Caddie said...

Wow.....Becca's first day of pre-K is tomorrow. How is this even possible already???? I am glad that Liam is doing so well with school!! I hope Becca's first day goes as easily as his did.

My challenge is trying not to show how nervous *I* am about it! I guess that's a lot of parenting, though, or maybe it's just me....

No Mommy Brain said...

oh, it's definitely not just you! i usually just tell liam how i'm feeling. not sure if that's always such a good idea (he's only FIVE after all...) but i guess i figure it can't hurt to know he's not the only one feeling a little scared/nervous/excited/etc. ; )

Anonymous said...

I started crying about 3 sentences in. Liam, you are amazing and you come from an outstanding family! I still can't get over our babies starting school. I will have to look at those pics again in the grass in your moms backyard. Sniff sniff sniff, my throat is constricted, gotta go.
Katie

Grandmother Fancy said...

Mixed emotions!! Mainly very proud of our big man and his ability to take on the world. Sadness is for old people