Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Walk star.

About two weeks ago, something HUGE happened in our house...

Finn started walking! I can't believe it's taken me so long to tell the Internet about such a big milestone. I think it's because walking is one of those gradual skills that can take a while to really set in. Does one step count as walking? What about two? He let go of the coffee table and just stood there for like 20 seconds...is that something?!

Of course, by now, he's an old pro. Shuffling around the house like a little old man, picking up speed, trying out stairs and carrying things much bigger than he is just because he can.

He gets better and better all the time. This morning at the library, he walked around (barefoot, in his pajamas...) the entire time it took Liam to choose a book without ever falling down once! And this is really saying something because Liam can be very choosy when it comes to everything books.

After dinner laps around the kitchen island...

The very first steps he ever took were in Reno at my sister's house. He woke up earlier than everyone else (or was he still awake from the night before...?) and was crawling and cruising around the house like a maniac, playing in the dog's water bowl and emptying the kitchen cabinets, when Liam woke up and came into the living room to curl up on the couch beside me. When Finn came cruising around the corner and saw his brother, he just about lost his mind. He started babble-yelling what I can only imagine was, "Liam! Oh my gosh! My brother! You're awake! I love you! Let's play!" He was caught up in such a whirlwind of excitement he actually let go of the couch and tried running to his brother. Running! He went about three steps before his body realized it hadn't learned to walk yet and crumpled to the floor in a heap of happy energy.

Amazing.

After that we tried and tried to get him to do it again. We bribed and coaxed and cheered but he had no desire to let go. I should have known, given how his first steps went down, that all it would take to get him really walking was a little encouragement from his brother.

After he'd mastered a step or two here and a step or two there, Liam finally thought he was ready. So he got down on the floor about five feet from Finn, put his arms out wide and said, "Pay for one hug!" Without a single ounce of hesitation, Finn gasped with excitement and walked across the room, straight into his brother's arms.

We were beside ourselves. I swear we even caught the moment on video even though, for the life of me, I can't figure out where it is (so many devices!). It's burned into our memories forever though and the boys have been kind enough to recreate it for us again and again and again...

video

It reminds me of when Liam learned to walk. Bill and I sat on the floor a few feet apart, passing one of his favorite books back and forth. I'd read a page while he toddled toward me to see the pictures, then I'd pass the book to Bill and Liam would walk to him. He was happy to do the work because he loved his books so much. Almost as much as Finny loves him! And if we needed to teach Liam to walk now? We'd put down the book and coax him with his brother.

No comments: