Saturday, January 28, 2012

The corner office.

Here it is friends. My major promotion. The corner office...

Kind of hard to believe that this space was there all along. Just hanging out, in our house, not being used to one fraction of its potential.

A place for everything...

We've tried, over the years, but this is the first time I can honestly say I LOVE this room (it started here, then went here, then here, then here and now ba-dam!). I think it might be my favorite place in the whole house!

If you ask my family they would say it is definitely my favorite room in the house. Because whenever they can't find me for a few minutes, they know I'm sitting at my desk writing or working on illustrations or simply admiring the view.

What can I say? It's a great place to be. And I'm not the only one who thinks so. This room is very popular. Especially with little helpers...

But no need to worry. Thanks to my nifty new cutting mat that doubles as a laptop pad AND hides away my work if I have to step away before I'm finished (aka, every single time I attempt to do anything), I no longer risk finding my newest illustration in Penny's kennel or Finny's mouth.

And if that's not enough to keep the little fingers and paws away from my stuff, there's always the door.

He pulls a chair over so I can see him while he yells at me.

This room turned out to be a perfect little office but that's hardly all it is. It doubles (triples? quadruples?) as the laundry room, pantry, our one and only storage closet (all behind the curtain), the home of the boat (our 2nd bathroom), and, most importantly, Penny's Palace.

That's one of the main reasons I made my own desk. I needed a space for my legs and a space for my dog. Not even Ikea sells one of those. But this design turned out perfectly. And it was so easy to make, even I could do it!

The top is a door and the legs are untreated cedar fence posts that the helpful young man at Home Depot cut to size for me. I attached the legs to the door with L brackets and screws (plus a little Gorilla Glue for good measure), then stained and polyurethaned the top while leaving the legs bare. Once it dried all I had to do was pop a few pieces of cork under the front legs of the desk to make it look even (the desk is perfectly even but our floors are not...) and voilĂ  - a spacious workstation for me and a cozy new home for Penny's kennel!

(If you didn't need a space for your dog, you could easily use a door for the top of your desk and filing cabinets or pretty shelves for the legs.)

I love my new office and can already tell it's going to make me about a thousand times more productive, creative and happy.

Pretty little things everywhere I look...

It hasn't always been easy for me to treat myself this well but I've realized lately that it's doing me more harm than good not to. If we tell ourselves (with our words or actions or unflattering jeans or lack of work space...) that we don't deserve better, how will we ever figure out that we do? It's human nature to rise to the occasion. So why not raise our expectations? I think by giving myself a beautiful corner office, I've done just that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

love it

Caddie said...

I love it!! You have put in a lot of work on it & it looks fantastic!!

No Mommy Brain said...

thank you!!!