Saturday, July 21, 2012

Green goddess.

Thanks to some of the great suggestions from you (yes, you!), I have been slowly but surely greening up my beauty routine. I thought I'd share some of the tips you passed along in case anyone else is as overwhelmed as I was.
Safe Mama - the original one-stop child safety, product recall, health, well-being, non-toxic, eco-conscious resource for parents.
Lovely Safe Mama - one-stop safe beauty, health and eco-gorgeous resource.
Khiel's - specifically Agran Oil products (for dry skin/hair). I may have popped in there shortly after having one of those "let's buckle down and start saving" conversations and accidentally dropped a whole wad of cash on not a whole lot of product. But the woman working there reminded me so much of my favorite aunt (who I'm sure could also sell the hell out of some lotion) and she made me feel like a very responsible mama for all the thought I was putting into the whole toxic crap thing. Flattery (and all around great beauty products) will get you everywhere.   
Kiss My Face - body lotion 
California Baby products 
LUSH - I love their products! Mmmm...bath bombs. We almost took a cab from our hotel in Orlando to the mall just so we could check out the Lush store. But then we remembered how easy it is to order online and how nowhere near easy it is to drag two children around in a cab. 
Ecocentric Mom  - Sign up for a membership to receive a monthly package filled with a sampling of hand-selected safe, ethical, and eco-friendly products. 
Seaweed Bath Co. - The eucalyptus and peppermint shampoo and conditioner is supposed to be great plus this company seems like an excellent resource for people with serious skin problems like Excema and Psoriasis (I'm a sucker for a testimonial!). 
Coconut oil plus essential oil - great for the face and body.
Stay beautiful out there!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I dunno...LUSH uses pretty standard chemicals in their products (propylene glycol, SLS (making it detergent, and not soap)), and I think several other of the more "common" ones like KMF do as well.

No Mommy Brain said...

you know, i think kiehl's might too. : ( I couldn't find the lotion i bought on the environmental working group website but a lot of the products that were on there did not rate nearly as well as i assumed they would. sigh. i guess i'll just keep the ewg skin deep site pulled up on my phone and search every single thing i buy from now on. although why i fully trust ANY site at this point is beyond me... i guess i could just do what my husband does and use dr. bronners for everything!

No Mommy Brain said...

ps: so....what DO you recommend?

Meredith said...

A few products I like:
-KORRES Quercetin & Oak Antiageing Antiwrinkle Eye Cream and Firming Face Serum (quercetin is nature's version of retinol)
-Josh Rosebrook Shampoo & Conditioner (no parabens, sulfates, preservatives)
-(seed)* grape seed enriched conditioning hair shampoo bar (great for your carry-on--and eliminates a lot of packaging waste you usually get with shampoos)
-Klorane Gentle Dry Shampoo with Oat Milk (for days between washing hair--which I'm trying to do only 2-3 times a week!)
-Shea Terra Organic Moroccan Argan Oil (and it's directly from a women's cooperative in Morocco)
-Burt's Bees All Natural Insect Repellent (because DEET sucks, but bugs suck more)
-W3LL PEOPLE Universalist Multi-Use Stick Duo (because it hasn't got any nasty chemicals but it helps you look pretty--and it really is multi-use!)
-Burt's Bees Beeswax Lip Balm (an old standby)

No Mommy Brain said...

That is FANTASTIC! Thank you!!!

Meredith said...

Oh, and I also like the Yes to Carrots and Yes to Tomatoes products I have tried--you can get them at Target. They're pretty reasonably priced and claim to be over 99% natural (for whatever that's worth!).

I signed up for opensky.com and follow Alicia Silverstone and a couple of others who make recommendations of their favorite eco products. That's how I found the Argan oil and Rosebrook products!

Meredith said...

Just saw this post on my favorite blog and thought of you: http://joannagoddard.blogspot.com/2012/09/motherhood-mondays-natural-baby-products.html

No Mommy Brain said...

That's great - thanks!!