Saturday, August 11, 2012

A great week for Julia.

Julia really doesn't like to brag, but sometimes she just can't help it. She is having a truly fantastic week!

Check out my column from this Thursday's Tennessean:


Can I get a what-what?!

When I emailed my editor to thank her for choosing this post (she edits posts from my blog for the paper), her response was maybe even GREATER than getting to see my little lady in print. She said the reason she chose it was because it inspired her. As a woman who would like to have babies someday but doesn't want to sacrifice her creative hopes and dreams, she said seeing me do it makes her believe that it's possible.

Wow!

That really is EXACTLY why I started my blog and named it what I did. To me, giving up who you are as a person in order to raise your babies is doing a serious disservice to yourself and everyone around you. Not only will you end up feeling unsatisfied and possibly resentful, your partner will lose the person he fell in love with and your children will have less of a roll model to look up to (and might even end up feeling guilty for taking away your identity as they mature...). It can be hard to find a balance between parenting to your fullest potential while maintaining and nurturing and growing your individual identity, but I think it's one of the most important things you can do. For yourself, for your marriage, for your children, FOR THE WORLD!

Needless to say it meant a whole heck of a lot to me to hear that sentiment echoed back.

And while I was basking in the glow of that, I was also busy dropping of copies of Just Right Julia at Parnassus Books in Green Hills and East Side Story in East Nashville!

Relatively small steps, yes, but for me it definitely feels like I'm picking up some momentum. I'm not sure where all of this will lead but I am open and ready and excited to see what happens next.

No comments: