Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Thank you.

Just a quick post to say THANK YOU to everyone who offered insight or ideas or personal stories or support in response to my previous post. It is all helpful and I appreciate it immensely.

We have a lot to consider although I think we're starting to feel ourselves leaning toward something that feels right...at least for right now. Which is an important point, I think. None of this has to be permanent, you know? If we make a decision and later decide it was a bad one, we can choose something else. Right? There's really not as much pressure as I sometimes think there is.

And another point: None of this should be decided (or not decided) out of fear. So much of what I've done regarding Liam and school up to this point has been fear-based. Fear of not fitting in, fear of the unknown, fear of losing our coveted spot at our lottery-based school, fear of doing something for Liam that will inadvertently affect Finn (like losing his coveted spot at our lottery-based school), fear of what will happen when it's time for middle school, fear of making waves, fear of turning the school against us, fear of going against the tide, fear of blah blah blah. It's stupid. I'm over it. No more fear-based decisions. Period.

But it is time for a decision. Back-to-school night last night made that pretty clear. It's time for us to do something major.

2 comments:

jen scaffidi said...

I don't have kids, but I've worked with plenty and I want to say: don't be afraid to homeschool. It's not always about the parent being the teacher, but about the parent hooking the kid up with experts in areas the kids finds interesting. This lady is sometimes controversial, but I always find her career advice to be spot-on, and when she launched a sub-blog about her experiences homeschooling, I couldn't stop reading: http://homeschooling.penelopetrunk.com/

No Mommy Brain said...

thanks, jen. that blog is awesome and i am surprised to say we have totally come around to the idea. once i realized how much he could do online and with other "teachers" it seemed like a no-brainer. i appreciate the support (and the link!).