Sunday, November 4, 2012

Where the magic happens.

I finally finished our bedroom makeover! Well, mostly finished. There are a couple things I'm still hoping to do but it was a sunny afternoon and I had just washed the sheets, so I figured I'd go ahead and snap some pics to share with all ya'll.

Once again I skipped the before pictures which is such a bummer in the wow-factor department. How about this? Just imagine a room painted the color of old lady makeup with a messy computer desk in place of a bedside table, a random assortment of pillows that seemed completely oblivious to the very red rug and nothing on the walls except for one lousy picture and a million tiny holes. Got it? That was before. And now...ta da!

I thought I wanted a lot more whimsy and pops of color but the more I tried to make it happen, the more I realized that what I really wanted was a retreat from all that. A space that, if given the power of onomatopoeia, would obviously say, "Ahhhhh..." And not much else.

At first I was looking for all the right pieces to fill the space (we have 12' ceilings - that's a lot of wall space!) but I ended up editing most of it out. Sometimes less is more. Especially in a room that is predominantly used for sleeping.


The stuff I kept had to take a quick trip through the feng shui detector to make sure it wasn't going to ruin our lives or anything catastrophic like that. I know about as much feng shui as you could learn with one quick Internet search. But I figure if I'm going to choose stuff to surround myself and my lover with (ew gross I just threw up in my mouth), I may as well choose with intention. 


Bedroom feng shui 101: bedside tables should match, a mirror over the bed is good (round is even better), plants are bad, pairs of things are good, anything displayed should be reflective of what you want for your relationship, feet should not directly face the door when you sleep and don't stash a bunch of crap under your bed.









There is still a bunch of crap under our bed but we share one small closet and one dresser so it's either under the bed in boxes or piled up in a corner. I'm no expert, but I think if it feels good and makes you happy, it's probably a-ok.

Comfy sheets and good lighting are essential. As for stuff? Just keep everything you need and nothing you don't. I'm sure our room will keep evolving as we live in it but for now it feels really good to have it (mostly) finished. And really good to spend time in there.


Here's a bit more detail on some of the projects that helped me get from there to here. And, a before picture!


Pretty fancy, huh? Our bedside tables did the job but we never really liked them. I originally wanted to paint them Kelly green but with the very red rug I was afraid that would be way too Christmassy. So I gave the family in Just Right Julia a lovely green side table and went with blue for us.




Then I added new hardware (I was lucky enough to find exactly what I wanted) and bam - all new side tables!


Full disclosure? First I painted them a completely different shade of blue. It was lighter and what I thought I wanted (whimsical! fun! the same color of the toe nail polish I really liked this summer!) but as soon as I finished painting two coats of primer, two coats of paint and one coat of polyurethane I realized I hated them. Back to the drawing board. When I was finally finished with the darker blue (which I actually liked), I got distracted working on another project and when I turned around to see what Finn was up to, I realized he was helping.


I seriously need to learn to multitask.

The mirror above our bed was another project, fortunately one that took a lot less time and effort. I've been wanting a sunburst mirror ever since I saw one in Elle Decor several years ago (I think it was in Molly Sims' house). They seem to be all the rage on Pinterest at the moment but I was not about to shell out $300 for one. So I sifted through Home Goods and Marshall's and Ross until I found something that might work.


The size was good, the price was right ($40), and the design was pretty much exactly what I wanted. But the cheap bedazzled crystal things were hideous. So I painted them gold.



Voila!


Other than that I just painted, upgraded our bedding (coverlet and shams from Overstock), and replaced our mini blinds with bamboo shades (they open top down and bottom up!). I might have to take some pictures at night some time because I'm looking around right now and really like how it looks with all the different lamps on (especially the salt lamps). But for now I'm starving and dinner's ready (Billy made pizza!) so I'm signing off. Hope you had a good weekend! 

1 comment:

Morning Cloak said...

looks like its from a magazine!