Friday, December 14, 2012

Broken.

I am heart broken by this latest school shooting. Latest school shooting...what an awful thing to say. Such a category should never have to exist. And yet, it does. Why? Because GUNS KILL PEOPLE. I know, I know. People help. But without guns in the hands of people who shouldn't have them? Tragedies like the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting would NEVER happen.

Because no one, no matter how desperate or mentally ill or angry or misguided, could ever go into a public place and kill TWENTY SEVEN PEOPLE without a firearm. It's just not possible.

Guns might not kill person but they absolutely kill people. Mass killings like this (again, what a disgusting thing to say...) would be unfathomable without them.

If the Connecticut tragedy doesn't lead to gun control, I can't begin to imagine what it will take.

I hope for the sake of the families who lost loved ones, the parents who lost children (I can't even think about this without crying...), something good comes from this horrific day.

My heart goes out to all those affected. Which, in a way, is all of us. We are all grieving and shaking our heads and hugging our babies and crying together. Let's hope we can stay that way long enough to fix what is broken and move ahead to a time when things like this are as unusual as they are unimaginable.



"We owe our children, the most vulnerable citizens in our society, a life free of violence and fear."  -  Nelson Mandela 

1 comment:

Caddie said...

Agreed, agreed, agreed. And yet I cannot TELL you how many people have specifically said to me that the lesson from this tragedy is that we need MORE guns. Guns everywhere! Then we'll be safe! It's overwhelmingly depressing.