Tuesday, January 29, 2013

QT with my cutie.

Last week I got a call from the parent's day out down the street where Finn's been on the waiting list for almost a year. A spot had finally opened up and he was next on the list. If we wanted to enroll him twice a week, he could start right away.


This was exactly what I wanted. At least, it was several months ago when I was an overwhelmed new homeschooler. I kind of wanted it a year ago when I signed him up. Enough to fill out an application but not enough to look for another option when he didn't immediately get in.


Still, when I got the call I thought, "Woohoo!" Because what stay-at-home-mom isn't jonesin' for a little me time? But it's more than that. This is one of the preschools Liam went to and when it was great, it was really great (he still misses it). I'd love for Finn to have a few hours a week with kids his own age and I actually think he would really like it. 



Bill couldn't disagree more. He thinks sending Finny to school at this age sounds like torture. "Remember when Liam went when he was this little? He cried every single day and hated it. It's not fair. Please don't make us do this."

"But he's not Liam. He's Finn! He's so much more social. I honestly think he'd like it!"

And I do. Sort of. Because he is really outgoing and social. But if I'm honest, he's only really like that at home or with people he's already warmed up to. I forget this as often as I remember. Almost every single time he holds back in a social situation I'm surprised. I could swear he's my wild child and yet, here he is, clinging to my leg.


So he's not wild. He's imaginative and quiet and will sit and play with little toys (or "statues") for insanely long stretches of time. On New Year's Eve at our neighbors' house, he entertained himself with the little pieces in the advent calendar for most of the night. Seriously. No wonder some of our friends call him Zen baby. He's the most chilled out little guy since Liam!


But he does really like to play with kids. Preferably six year olds but he can definitely make an exception once he gets to know kids his own age. Like the kids at Monday morning story time. Those kids are really starting to become his friends!

Which is one of the reasons I was pushing to enroll him once we got the call. He's so cute doing the parachute and singing "Wheels on the Bus" and sharing toys with his new friends. Why wouldn't he like preschool? 

On the other hand... if it ain't broke, why mess with it?


Our Mondays and Wednesdays are great now that we've found our groove. Monday I drive carpool for Liam's science class and then Finny and I go to story time together. Just the two of us! This is something I didn't know if I'd ever get to do once we started homeschooling and now that we have it, I'm not about to give it up. Wednesdays I don't drive carpool so Finn and I are free to do whatever the heck we want all morning long. He basically bosses me around for 2-1/2 hours. "Come here, Mama. Play with me. Sit there, please." It's one of the highlights of my week. 


So we let his spot go to the next kid in line and will think about maybe enrolling him next year. We'll see what Dada has to say about that...

No comments: