Wednesday, March 27, 2013

The littlest Mario Bro.

Yesterday morning, we woke to find Finn standing next to our bed. We must have looked somewhat terrified (that's how I felt anyway - moving away from the crib is not my favorite milestone) because as soon as he could tell we were awake he just sort of shrugged his shoulders and said, "I climbed out." Just like that. He wasn't waiting for a round of applause or anything, just saying hello. Then he ran off to find Liam, helped himself to a bowl of shredded cheese and sat down to watch Blue's Clues.



This morning, he did it again. "I got out myself," he said. Then threw night-night and his guys onto my bed and climbed up to "get cozy." So let me get this straight. As far back as I can remember, you've woken up every single morning yelling, "Mama!" until I come get you and now all of a sudden you're a super stealthy ninja who can climb out of your crib without making so much as a peep?!

Yes ma'am.



This is so Finn. As soon as he does something, he does it. There is no turning back, no second guesses, not even a struggle. It's like all he has to do is decide and, bam! Game over. The only trick is he has to be the one to decide. Don't even try to make suggestions. Unless of course you're going to suggest painting or going outside. He's almost always up for one of those.





He's a big fan of story time, too. It's not unusual for us to hit up a few different ones each week. He has his favorite librarians, knows what to expect from each program and could probably find his way around without any help at all. He loves the songs, the puppets, the kids and, of course, the books.


If it was up to him I'd read ten books before nap time every day. At least ten books. And then I'd sing all the songs I know and lay down on Liam's bed next to him until he fell asleep. Sometimes that's just what we do. But not always. Sometimes he just has to deal with the cards he's been dealt. This can mean he rolls over and goes right to sleep or plays quietly for a bit or screams and cries until he decides he's had enough.  

He has really big emotions. Sometimes he even hits - the saddest, most intentional hitting you've ever seen with unwavering eye contact and a quivering chin - and regularly has his feelings hurt badly enough that he breaks down and cries. The worst is when he feels left out (it happens a lot with a much older brother) because he would never ever leave any one out if he could help it. This kid has a heart of pure gold. 


He's funny, too. He says things that just about knock me out of my chair. Like when he came in from playing outside and I asked him if he wanted to take off his coat and hang it in his room. He said no. Twenty minutes later I asked again. Still no. A couple hours later I noticed he was still wearing it. "Finny," I said. "It's warm in here. You should take off your coat." He looked me straight in the eyes and said, "No, Mama. I can't! I too busy."



True dat. Busy, bright and sweet as can be. What a kid.

No comments: