Sunday, April 7, 2013

Ch-ch-ch-changes.



I know I've posted this picture before but it's just so LIAM right now, I have to post it again. If it looks like he has a thirteen year old's share of attitude squeezed into a seven year old's body it's because that's EXACTLY what's going on. Pretty much all the time. Sometimes I want to hold a mirror up in front of him and say, "Dude! Will you LOOK at yourself? You like like you have scurvy. Seriously. You should probably let the attitude simmer until those wooden teeth fall out because it's hard to take you seriously at the moment."



I keep thinking back to a conversation I had with my sister when he was a month or so old. "Moose," I said. "Liam keeps getting cuter. Every day we wake up and I'm like, 'Ack! He's even more adorable than yesterday!' I almost can't handle it. Do you think he's going to just keep getting cuter and cuter...forever?"

"He will until he's about twelve," she said. "Then he'll just look AWKWARD for a while."

I agreed - pre-teens usually do look pretty weird - but thought I had some time before my cutie pie took a turn. No one warned me that seven year olds go through a metamorphosis of their own. I was not prepared for this.



It's not just the teeth and the attitude, it's also the hair. All of a sudden it's sort of a nappy texture, like he hasn't rinsed the soap out. But I've re-trained him on the showering basics and even supervised a rinse sesh and I'm pretty sure that's not the problem.



Could it be that his hair has just changed? Conditioner helps but as soon as he goes to bed, something happens and he wakes up looking like a scarecrow.



A cute scarecrow, but still. He looks so different these days. His face is changing. He's getting taller. He's growing up. Fortunately he still likes to hang out with me, but I have started to feel that this won't go on forever. When he asks me to play or jump on the trampoline or have a little "grown up" time with him and I don't really want to (you know what I mean), I quickly remember how lucky I am that he likes spending time with me and say yes to whatever it is he wants to do.

I never regret it.



On the trampoline this afternoon I told him that even though he looked completely crazy right now, he's still one of the most beautiful people I've ever seen in my life. 

"Like, even more handsome than Dada?"

"I mean, yeah. Totally. But it's apples and oranges, you know? I think Dada's really handsome but not like you."

"What about Finn?"

"Well that's different. To me you are equally the most handsome people ever ever EVER."

"I'm probably just a little bit more handsome though, right?"



I was like, "Dude. Seriously? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder so there's really no such thing as the 'most' handsome. Some people will think you're handsome while others will think Finn is. I just happen to think you both are."

"I don't know. I'm pretty sure the beholders will think I'm the most handsome."



At least I don't have to worry about his confidence. His modesty, on the other hand, might need a little tune up. Not that I can blame him. Even with the teeth and the hair and the questionable wardrobe choices and the attitude, he is still unbelievably beautiful inside and out.

No comments: