Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Strawberry paletas.

Last week the boys and I picked a bushel of strawberries at Circle S Farm just east of Nashville. I'd never gone berry picking before and, honestly, if you'd told me in the morning that I'd be spending the afternoon bent over a row of strawberry plants, I probably wouldn't have believed you. But we overheard some friends talking about it at our bird workshop at Shelby Bottoms Nature Center and thought, "Hey, we like strawberries..." Next thing you knew, we were on our way to the farm.



We went ahead and splurged on the $10 basket and filled it to the very tip top (while helping ourselves to berries along the way just like the farmer told us we could!). Well, I filled it to the top. Liam spent most of his time asking when we could go on an adventure and planning just how awesome it was going to be. I was like, "Dude, what's wrong with this adventure?" But apparently the neatly manicured rows of plants and convenient highway access were far too mild for him. "I want the kind of adventure that has a forest. And maybe a lake or something. I want at least a 90% chance that we'll get lost in the woods and have to build a shelter and survive..."

Is that a bow staff in your pocket...


Poor Finn spent most of his time at the farm trying to poop.



Alas, we had our strawberries. A whole bunch of them! I dumped them into a reusable shopping bag for the drive then shoved them in the fridge when we got home (we were in a hurry - we had that other adventure to get to!). Yesterday I pulled them out to take to our neighbors' house to share and found they were not nearly as beautiful as they'd once been. Since the big strawberry fan in our house doesn't do well with ugly fruit, I knew I'd have to come up with a creative way to use our remaining berries.

This was taken before they got a bit squished and ugly.


At first I thought strawberry jam would be perfect but we didn't have that many left. Then this morning when Finn helped himself to a popsicle for breakfast again, I realized the answer was right in front of me, dripping off my baby's chin.



Paletas!

Strawberry Paletas (aka, fancy pants popsicles)

3 cups strawberries (leaves removed, cut in half)
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup water
a few mint leaves
a bit of lime juice

1. Stir strawberries and sugar together in a small saucepan. Let sit for about 15 minutes so the berries soften a bit and release their juices.

2. Add water and mint. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for about 5 minutes. Let cool to room temperature.



3. Pour the strawberries into a blender and add the lime. Blend until smooth (or not if you like them chunky).

4. Have a little person pour the mixture into popsicle molds or ice cube trays.



5. Freeze and enjoy!




{Original recipe found here and modified because that's what we do.}

{Baby Liam photo tutorial on how to make juice pops here. Sniff...}

No comments: