Thursday, June 27, 2013

Oh, happy day!

When I was a child, I used to think how lucky my grandparents were to have lived when they did. They got to see so much happen in their lives. I mean, they were alive before television. When everything was black and white! (I was maybe not the smartest kid.) I felt kind of sorry for myself because the world was already so developed by the time I came around. What else could possibly happen in my lifetime?

So, so much.

Our world is changing every single day. It's incredible. Like watching one of those time-lapse National Geographic films where entire life cycles happen in the blink of an eye. Our consciousness is shifting right before our eyes. We're growing and learning and understanding more and more each and every day. It's a beautiful thing. Kind of mind blowing actually.

When I told Liam about the Supreme Court decision to strike down the Defense of Marriage Act and showed him the picture I was working on (I think this was the first time I've been inspired to make something for no other reason that it felt like I should), he simply said, "Cool. More rights."

That's it.

Because in his world, ruling that gays and straights should have marriage equality is just a technicality. Of course all people should have equal rights. Discrimination is so last generation.

No comments: