Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Technical difficulties.

My baby is three now. I know. THREE. I usually kill myself to get a birthday slide show made and posted ON TIME (not to mention a post about his birthday party...) but my computer is sort of having a moment. It's full, apparently, which means it can't be bothered to save or export or do anything I ask it to do. 

That's not fair. I'm being dramatic. It will do some things just fine.

Like when I mistakenly asked it to delete all the files on my external hard drive, it was more than happy to comply. Immediately. So, you know. It's good at some things. I'm in the process of trying to recover everything (fingers crossed!) which means my slide show is being held hostage and my patience is wearing thin.  

I showed Finn his birthday video a week ago when it was finished and he really liked it. His only critique was the music. He would have preferred Boom, Boom, Pow by the Black Eyed Peas or Afro Circus from Madagascar 3. Those are his faves. Which I should probably mention is his go-to phrase at the moment.

"Hey, Finn. I was thinking you might like going to school a couple days a week in the Fall..."

"I don't want to go to school."

"Why not, buddy? School can be really fun! I think you'd like it."

"Nah. It's not my fave."

Seriously.

I'm thinking we'll still give it a try because, if yesterday was any indication, something's gotta change around here. 

It was just one of those days. You know the ones. Where nothing particularly out of the ordinary happens but you still find yourself at your wits end all day long. I got in a fight with a stuffed penguin. I hurt my baby's feelings. We had nachos for dinner. You know what I mean...

Anyway, after Finn FINALLY went to sleep, Liam and I sat up talking for a bit (which is what we had planned to do to try to make up for the not so great day which is why it felt like it took Finn forever to go to sleep...). We picked apart the day, trying to figure out what, if anything, had been good, and why the bad parts had been so bad. We decided today was going to be different. And it will. We'll connect more and just be around each other less. We'll find ways to interact with Finn to fill his tank without depleting ours. We'll make room for alone time. We'll spend time outside. And be creative! We'll fix the dang computer! 

And if we're very, very lucky, we'll finally post about our baby's 3rd birthday. If we're not too busy making sure he has a great day...

No comments: