Thursday, October 31, 2013

Skulls and ravens, hold the cheese.

A few weeks ago, Liam asked if we could get the Halloween stuff out of our basement. I said yes, of course, and started mentally rearranging the house to accommodate all the incoming black and orange. You can imagine my surprise when he looked me straight in the eyes, planted his hands firmly on his hips and said, "This year, Mama, it's MY turn to decorate."

I felt totally blindsided. Decorating is my thing! It's where I've learned to channel most of my control freak urges. Plus, it's so much fun! I didn't want to hand it off to some kid just because he made a strong argument. But, Mama, you've done it EVERY year. Don't you think someone else deserves a turn? How would you have felt if your parents didn't let YOU be creative...

Geez.

We've had this same conversation about his bedroom and, although he really does make some excellent points, I'm just not ready to let go. At least, not completely. By the looks of things, I handed over the reins years ago - there are stickers and signs stuck all over the walls and messes that have to stay messy because they're nests or forts or something important - but I still can't imagine handing him a gallon of paint and letting him go to town.

(Yes, Liam, even though I got to do whatever I wanted to my room when I was a kid and that probably encouraged me to be creative. YES, I remember spray painting my ceiling pink in the middle of the night and rearranging my bedroom furniture every other week. I know it's totally not fair. It's just... I'm working on it.)

I felt like if I didn't give him Halloween, he might bring up the bedroom thing again and I did not want to go there. I was about to give him the go-ahead when I realized he was already doing it whether I liked it or not (I was busy hauling ALLLLL our little baby stuff out of the basement to give to a friend who is expecting - guess we won't be needing any of that anymore!).

I can't even tell you how hard it was for me to walk into the house and see him throwing up the Halloween decorations all willy nilly like it didn't even matter where anything went. He's like, "Well, what do you think?" while I stood there twitching all over and silently screaming THE CAT WREATH DOESN'T GO THERE IT GOES THERE!!! SPIDERWEBS ON THE PIANO? REALLY, LIAM?! OMG, WHAT IS HAPPENING?!?!?

It was like Freaky Friday, type-A style.

I really don't know why I was so worried. The truth is, as much as Liam likes the idea of projects like this, he doesn't actually care how the finished product turns out. (Are you like, "That's funny. I thought for sure she was going to say she didn't know why she was so worried about A CAT WREATH...") He's a maker, not a keeper. So as long as we all knew this was his project, I was free to help as much as I wanted.

Since he had already started on the inside of the house, I shifted my focus to the front yard. I plopped our trusty grave stone in the yard, rearranged some plants (everything green, purple, black or orange got moved to the front porch while everything else was banished to the backyard), and hung a couple ghosts in our trees.





Pretty spooky but I was hoping for a little something more. So we headed out to see what else we could find. Our only rule? Nothing cheesy!

The boys LOVED that word and I loved how it helped guide our shopping. It's so easy to go overboard when every single thing on your list is unnecessary. There's really nothing to keep you on task when you're going out of your way to buy stuff like:
spider webs
big ass spider!?
more ghosts?
creepy rats or bugs or birds
CANDY!!!
Knowing we couldn't get anything cheesy immediately knocked about 95% of the stuff in the stores out of our realm of possibility. Which is a very good thing when shopping at Target...





that slug took it up about 10 notches...


We only really found a few things we liked. Skulls (Target) and ravens (Michaels) were our main scores along with a big bag of fake spiders, some spiderwebs, a big ass spider (which I stuck in a web to block off the side entrance to our porch) and an owl that I sort of fell in love with (HomeGoods).




I didn't realize until we got home that the reason I probably like it so much is it looks exactly like our cat. 


Every time I walk outside, I think the owl is Gretchen (or "Miss" as the kids call her or "Cathe" as Bill and I have started calling her. It's like a different spelling of "Cathy" but pronounced "Cat The"which has got to be the best name for a cat in the world!). 


Every. Single. Time.
We added the pumpkins we carved at a pumpkin party this weekend (mine won!) and once we fill the space with friends and neighbors and trick-or-treaters tonight (stop by if you're out and about!), I think it will be just perfect.


Hope you have a super fun (and not too rainy) Halloween! I can't wait to show you pictures of our costumes...


Do you have a great Halloween video or photo to share? Email your submissions to tpham@dropcam.com - the favorites will be featured on the Dropcam blog this Halloween!

No comments: