Thursday, January 23, 2014

The Decider gets potty trained.

I was about to call this post "Potty training The Decider" but, let's be honest. There's not a lot of training going on with this child. He does what he wants when he wants and that's that. Sometimes this gets him in trouble, sure, but for the most part, it works out great.



At first, I was a little overwhelmed by the idea of potty training Finn. It was so freakishly easy with Liam that I had absolutely no idea where to start. Should I just do what I did before - run out of diapers one day and never ever buy them again - or admit that that was beginners luck? I mean, how could a child who wakes up with a soaking wet diaper every single morning suddenly be expected to hold it all through the night?

Since I had no idea how to answer that, we just kept on buying diapers for nighttime and number twos (pooping has always been such a process for Finn - bless his heart - that I didn't want to make it any harder on him than it already was). But instead of buying them in bulk at Costco, we started buying them at the grocery store. Sure they were more expensive and less convenient but it made us feel so optimistic. These are the last 20 diapers we will ever need to buy!

After half a dozen "last" last minute diaper runs, we threw in the towel and stocked up at Costco last week. We know we can't force Finn to do something before he's ready so what else could we do. Here's 180 diapers, kid. Go nuts...

Imagine my surprise when things suddenly took a one eighty. First Finn showed a little interest in using the potty to poop (or, at least, he didn't say no when I suggested it) so we spent most of the day on Tuesday working on it (poor kid). By bedtime he had finally done it. When I told him how proud of him I was he simply said, "I'm proud of myself!" Atta kid.



The next day I was in his room and noticed a diaper on his bed. It was dry but had definitely been worn. (It was next to the pink princess Pull-Up he borrowed from a friend several weeks ago and has slept with ever since - it hasn't been worn, don't worry). I called him in to find out what it was.

"It's my diaper from last night," he said. "I took it off."

"But...it's dry," I said. "DID YOU KEEP IT DRY ALL NIGHT!?"

He said yes but it sounded more like DUH. Like, "Uh, Mama? Don't you remember last night before bed when you told me that if I wanted to stop wearing diapers forever all I had to do was stop peeing in my sleep? Yeaaaah. I just decided to do that..."

That was a couple nights ago. Guess who's still waking up dry?




No comments: