Sunday, March 2, 2014

Divide and conquer.

As a mother, one of the best feelings in the world is being able to leave my kids with a loved one for an extended period of time without having to worry (about the kids or the caretaker!). It feels like such a concrete measure of success. If they can continue to thrive and learn and live without parental supervision and constant reminders, it makes me feel like we must be doing something right.

Plus, if they can successfully hang without us, that means we can enjoy a little time without them. Can I get a win/win?!








So last week while we were being spoiled rotten in Cabo (courtesy of a sales incentive trip Bill earned!), the boys were having the time of their lives in (mostly) sunny Southern California with my most favorite cousin.



While we were SCUBA diving and riding camels on the beach and waking up whenever the heck we wanted (like before sunrise, wtf), they were burying each other in the sand and going to LEGO Land and playing soccer.









For every story we couldn't wait to tell them ("I saw a whole pod of Humpback whales breaching from our hotel room!"), they had one of their own ("I surfed down a sand mountain!" "I failed!").





Sure I still missed them (from time to time) but I knew they were in good hands.





And I really didn't want to intrude on their time. I liked knowing that we could have our own experiences without stepping on each others' toes. Plus, I think it made our reunion that much sweeter.


No comments: