Monday, April 7, 2014

I guess you hear what you want to hear.

Thinking you know the lyrics to a song when really you don't is one of my favorite things.

I can remember, clear as day, walking to the bus stop with my sister and our neighbors when Moose (who was walking behind us) started busting out George Michael's Faith. She was dance walking down the street, really strutting her stuff and singing, "I've gotta have tits, tits, tits. I've gotta have tits, a-tits, a-tits-ah! Ba-bay!"

She was seven. We've teased her about it ever since.

I rarely sing out loud. Not even in the shower or car when no one else can hear me. Really the only time I sing is to my kids. Either softly at bedtime or really loudly to annoy them. I honestly think I sound like an opera singer or anyone else "good" who is really just loud and makes their voice move around a lot, so once I get started I don't want to stop. I sing until they want to kill me.

Whether or not I have the lyrics right obviously doesn't matter. No one cares what I'm singing; they just want me to stop singing it.

But tonight I realized something kind of funny.

We listen to a lot of Bob Marley in our house. (Why? Because it's awesome and never gets old, duh.) I've heard all the songs so many times I've kind of stopped hearing them. But last week one of his songs came on while I was listening with headphones and I heard the lyrics differently than I ever had before. It was like I finally really understood what my man was saying!

All these years I thought he was singing, "could you be loved" but now it was perfectly clear that was wrong. It's not could you be LOVED, it's could you be LOVE.

Could you be love?
Then be love.

I suddenly loved the song about a thousand times more. In fact, I started running it through my head like some sort of mantra. Could you be love? Then be love... How beautiful is that? Rather than trying to be smart or rich or successful or this title or that just be LOVE. Yes! It sent me running for my art journal.


As I was clipping and gluing and inspiring the crap out of myself with my new mantra, I decided to listen to Legend. I pulled it up on my new Beats Music app (like Spotify but apparently artists get paid better royalties) and immediately saw the actual title of the song.

Turns out I was right all along.


(Actual lyrics: Could you be love and be loved... pretty close!)

I have to say, I think I like my version better. What can I say? My sister and I have a gift with the lyrics!

No comments: