Monday, August 25, 2014

Terms of endearment.

We rented a couple of sea kayaks yesterday to tool around the bay and shake things up a little. We haven't really done a lot on this vacation (beach day every day) which has been relaxing and perfect for all of us but it seems to work best if we throw things in now and then to prevent burnout (and sunburn...).


We had never tried sea kayaking before but took to it like fish to water. Every time we'd pass one another Bill and I would boast about how awesome we were doing.

Not that sea kayaking is necessarily hard but given our lack of upper body strength (alright, my lack of upper body strength - Bill can at least do push-ups), it doesn't take much for me to feel like a stud.

Finny was in my boat. He sat up front and talked while I paddled. As you can imagine with the waves and wind and all of the physical exertion, I could barely make out a word he was saying. He knew I couldn't hear him but it didn't stop him from trying.

He talked, and talked, and talked. About what, I have no idea. Every now and then I'd catch a little something but none of it made much sense.

At one point I asked him to hand me our water. "Thanks, sugar," I said, handing it back to him.

"Why do you call me sugar?" He asked, suspiciously.

"What?" I yelled, straining to hear over the waves.

"Why," he yelled. "Do you call! Me sugar!"

"Oh!" I said, finally understanding him. "It's a term of endearment."

"What?"

"It's something sweet I like to call you that's not your real name. Like how sometimes I call daddy Babe or Liam sweet pea. It's just a sweet name you call someone that's not their real name."

"Like Ron?"

"What?"

"Ron!"

"Um, sure," I said laughing. "Ron would work. Can you think of anything else?"

"How about... heart? Or Harry Potter!"

I was totally cracked up. "Yeah, buddy, those are good ones!"

"Thanks, Heart."

Sure, sweetest angel.

No comments: