Monday, June 29, 2015

Love wins.

I love a good news week.



So often, I feel like my head's in the sand when it comes to the goings on in this world. And frankly, a lot of the time it is. I'm way too sensitive and surrounded by little people to get caught up in the 24 hour (bad) news cycle. I don't want to be scared or worried or stressed or overwhelmed so I just turn away from the noise and concentrate on the here and now.





Myself, my family, our friends and neighbors, our home, and if there's any brain space or energy left after that, our community. Beyond that, honestly, is just more than I can give attention to every single day. That probably seems selfish or ignorant or like it's not even allowed but I think of it more like survival. I know that letting in too much negative influence is bad for me. Hearing about the terrible thing that happened to someone far away who I will never meet or be able to help doesn't do me (or anyone else in my life) any good. I can't speak for everyone, but I know for me, less is more.

GOOD news though? I'll take all of that you got!


If what you focus on expands, it only makes sense to celebrate when things go well. Right? Really get the momentum rolling! So, this weekend, that's exactly what we did.

Propelled by the fantastic Supreme Court ruling on gay marriage and a desire to teach our children love and acceptance while seeing history in the making, we gathered our crew, rainbowed up and walked across the bridge to the Nashville Pride Festival.






It's hard for me to believe, but this was the first Gay Pride celebration I've ever been to. There's no good reason for this other than sheer laziness or it usually being too hot this time of year for an outdoor festival to seem appealing. But this year? Well, this year was different. Not only was gay marriage JUST legalized in every single state (woohoo!!), it was also 75 degrees and sunny in Nashville. There was no way we would have missed it.




I really didn't know what to expect. Bill thought it might be a little over-the-top for the kids (he recalls a lot of S and M stuff at the last Pride he went to...) but I figured they could handle it. Worse case scenario, we could just play in the fountain and enjoy a nice walk on a beautiful day.

I think we were all pleasantly surprised. I mean, sure, there were more people flaunting their jiggly bits than we usually see on a Saturday afternoon but it wasn't anything we couldn't handle. And there was music and dancing and rainbow colored everything and short range Frisbee games and incredible people watching and the most positive vibe of community and celebration and LOVE I've felt in a long time and happy, smiling faces everywhere you looked.







The fountain was pretty fun, too.





No comments: